Thread: Configuring Sygate firewall to work with the internet

Angry Configuring Sygate firewall to work with the internet

New member, this site is a great resource for protection against hackers and the like!

I recently got Sygate home firewall pro 5.5, however, once I set the options and what programs I want to allow/block etc, unless I set the security level to allow all, I will not be able to use the net on normal. MSN will sign out and not sign back in, I can't surf the net in firefox and I can't even download something (ie via azureus). How can I fix this?

Furthermore, I was surprised at the lack of configuring options given the options available such as IPS, anti IP-spoofing, and so on available. It seems to have very basic configurability. Even Mcafee had more in depth security levels, but the general consensus is that Sygate is better anyway.

Even though my PC (running on XP Home) is pretty secure with a decent virus scanner, etc, using allow all completely defeats the purpose of the firewall!

I read the Sygate forums, I might just raise a thread over there.

Ta

1. Did you open all the ports you need?
    2. Did you try pinging outbound, or were you just typing in a url? tyring pinging an IP address, maybe its a DNS issue (like you didnt open DNS ports).
    3. Are you behind a router? if so are th ports for azures forwarded through that?
    4. Is windows firewall also on? (they CAN conflict and cause problems)
    5. Are you SURE you have all the ports necessary open?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by XTC46
    1. Did you open all the ports you need?
    2. Did you try pinging outbound, or were you just typing in a url? tyring pinging an IP address, maybe its a DNS issue (like you didnt open DNS ports).
    3. Are you behind a router? if so are th ports for azures forwarded through that?
    4. Is windows firewall also on? (they CAN conflict and cause problems)
    5. Are you SURE you have all the ports necessary open?
    1. This is something I have been wondering for a while now. I use XP Home, but how do I open and close ports? Do I need a special app? I've got Port EXplorer but I can't really use that as it is such a hog. Also, how can I make my ports stealth?

2. Pinging works fine.

3. I am behind a router yes (I use broadband/ADSL), but I haven't had to spend time playing with port forwarding before. Also, on previous firewalls I haven't had this problem.

4. Aware of the conflicts. Don't use that as I have Sygate which is so much better anyway!

5. lol.

Ta

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I recently got Sygate home firewall pro 5.5, however, once I set the options and what programs I want to allow/block etc, unless I set the security level to allow all, I will not be able to use the net on normal. MSN will sign out and not sign back in, I can't surf the net in firefox and I can't even download something (ie via azureus). How can I fix this?
    Sounds like you misconfigured your firewall. I run the same firewall as you. Sygate v5.6 Open sygate and click on "Security" at the top and select "normal" that way it will prompt you from their you can monitor all inbound and outbound connections.

To fix your "application issue", open Sygate this time click on Applications, then click on "REMOVE ALL". Now from here you can reconfigure your firewall and set the 'rules' for it, and on a side note Mcafee firewall doesn't have AUTO TROJAN termination feature which will stop *well known trojans* from making ANY outbound connections. Another thing I like about Sygate the extensive logging. Again, very useful, and finally I like the way it's very easy to access technical details. On a side note if worst comes to worse and the information I posted didn't work for you then I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the application. Hope this helps.

Originally posted here by Computernerd22
    Sounds like you misconfigured your firewall. I run the same firewall as you. Sygate v5.6 Open sygate and click on "Security" at the top and select "normal" that way it will prompt you from their you can monitor all inbound and outbound connections.

To fix your "application issue", open Sygate this time click on Applications, then click on "REMOVE ALL". Now from here you can reconfigure your firewall and set the 'rules' for it, and on a side note Mcafee firewall doesn't have AUTO TROJAN termination feature which will stop *well known trojans* from making ANY outbound connections. Another thing I like about Sygate the extensive logging. Again, very useful, and finally I like the way it's very easy to access technical details. On a side note if worst comes to worse and the information I posted didn't work for you then I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the application. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for that! It helps!

Well I think I have found the problem. I disabled DLL protection and MSN 7 doesn't cause any freezing like when I check a profile or am given a link from someone.

However, this is a workaround that causes more problems (DLL protection should be enabled at all times). This isn't a solution. There is actually a thread about very similar problems to what I have on the Sygate forums. I can use DLL protection, but I have to use MSN 4.7 to avoid lockups and even then I might get some lockups.

I can't sign into MSN 7 without the PC locking up and DLL protection on (or open a link, etc, even a new conversation locks the PC up). Windows Messenger (4.7) is cool though.

As for what I said about Mcafee, I was just talking about having it in the past. I don't intend to go back to using it.

Also, so what do I put in for ports used and trusted IPs for Firefox, MSN and Azureus?

Ta.

hello BladeZ, I am also using sygate, you mentioned you experienced lockup when using sygate with msn messenger 7? I have the same problem and I removed it and installed msn messenger 6.2 back. Is it caused by the DLL protection? disable this option will solve the lockup?

Originally posted here by Falcon21
    hello BladeZ, I am also using sygate, you mentioned you experienced lockup when using sygate with msn messenger 7? I have the same problem and I removed it and installed msn messenger 6.2 back. Is it caused by the DLL protection? disable this option will solve the lockup?
    Hey,

I don't really want to downgrade back to MSN 6.2. But I think I might download the new MSN (7.5?) and enable DLL protection, seeing if I get the problem then. With DLL protection off, I experience no slowdowns at all.

Here is a thread about this problem - http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthre...threadid=13241