Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: eEye Retina

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Its a full evaluation of v7.x

I'm away from the office now. I'll check tomorrow.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Nope totally wrong it's Version 5.3.4.1325

But it is an evaluation copy on a 2 week 16 IP licence.

It's runnign a lot better now. I think I'd configured some of the scans badly and that was causing the lag.

It scanned an XP workstation in 9 minutes and the same box running Knoppix with some random services in 2 minutes.
    I wouldn't take these as representative I'm still playing around with the settings but I keep getting distracted. Such is life.

We're going to download a trial and try to review it but we're short on time. Got to apply for the funding within 2 weeks.
    Does anyone have any experience of this product that they can share (good and bad).
    I've used it a few times ( The trial version) when Cheyenne, Myself, zombiemann and Jarrod changed our AO CS clan website. Ran a few tests on the website for the hell of it...very interesting and detailed report. Retina defenitely makes a nice addition to any audit toolbox.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Retina seems ok, can't say more really it's all been so rushed.

I've downloaded ISS today to get a comparison with something else at least. Now running the sales gauntlet to get a licence key with getting phoned to death. Chap seemed quite hurt when I wouldn't give him my number.

Retina is great...but a bit on the pricey side. The reports are lacking to say the least. I agree with Ric-O...a layered approach is the best.
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    First impressions of ISS Vs retina

ISS seems a lot more flexable but Retina seems to be much easier to use in the short term.

Originally posted here by Aspman
    Retina seems ok, can't say more really it's all been so rushed.

I've downloaded ISS today to get a comparison with something else at least. Now running the sales gauntlet to get a licence key with getting phoned to death. Chap seemed quite hurt when I wouldn't give him my number.
    ISS used to, and I assume still does, let you run a scan against localhost. You should be able to register and account with them (free) and download, without the marketing crap...although I am wanting to say I do remember getting a phone call doing it and just laughing at them (we've had it for quite a while), but they were quickly dispatched. I think if you spend the time to hunt down a few things (they aren't always obvious), you'll see what I meant by more in depth reporting and organizational stuff, which for my particular job is invaluable and what was my biggest knock against retina.

Kinda funny seeing you guys come up with the same stuff I mentioned after poo-pooing my initial reply to some degree
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)