Thread: How to create an installable file

How to create an installable file

Hi All,

I've created some reports for a client on Windows XP.
    Reports are in excel files and there are some batch files to create objects in database.
    Now I want to create a single executable file that user clikcs and everything got installed.
    I tried Iexpress provided on windows XP but problem is that it converts all my file names to DOS based 8 character names. Is there any other way to do this, without buying any new software. I don't have winzip, but is there any way out in perl or some other way in Win XP?

Regards
    Darknite
    The more one comes to know a man the more one admires a dog.

havent used instalation software at all. I remember when i had to send a website demo cd to a client and needed him to have all the servers installed (dunno why execs wont just click on a link but prefera cd sent or paperwork). Anyways, you could write a simple c/c++ program(or whatever language u are familiar with) to install the files or even simpler, you coyuld just write a batch file executing all the other batch files and call it setup.bat and put it in ur root folder. That way once u click setup, it runs everything else. ITCHWARE ROCKS!!!
    Lets stop Thinking and start Drinking!

Problem is that there are many users. They have tablet PCs and needless to say they're mobile. So I can't send CD to all of them. I need to send the installable by email or do you have any nice idea...

you could always write the batch file, then download winzip. that should solve all your problems

licensing issues with winzip.......
    My company don't have a license for it.

as long as you dont use it beyond the evaluation period which is about 30 days, then you dont have any licensing issues to deal with. Also you could try powerarchiver or winrar. Winxp has in-built ability to read zip files so u can ensure u r the only person using the program (winzip) and u dont exceed evaluation period. Besides any coMpression utility ur company has licenses to, will do just fine.

Banned
    The ZIP license shouldn't be something that you yourself need to worry about. Technically, you'd just need a single license to create the ZIP file. I don't think WinZip is that expensive. At http://www.winzip.org/ you can buy it for a louse $29...
    Oh, well... I guess you actually like the WinZip Self-extractor more. That one costs $49. Basically, you need to have a license for every user who is going to use it to make self-extracting files. Basically, only one user (you) is going to do this so a single license would be more than enough.

Read the full license at http://www.winzip.org/lic_se.htm and just think about it... For $49 you have a very simple solution. But only one person would be licensed to create those files though!