Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unemployment question ... USA

Believe it or not, unemployment compensation was not
    designed to be abused in this fashion. Yeah. I know. People do it anyway. Yadda.
    Those poor old factory workers in the 1930s would be rolling
    in their graves to know how easy you have it. They got laid off
    in the great depression and got nothing. They created
    this system to relieve honest, hard working people from
    the genuine distress of being made homeless when some tycoon wanted
    to fatten his dividends by firing workers. Think about it.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

i agree, rcgreen,

however, when a hardworking person is laid off and unable to support his family, he should get some form of help, dont you agree!

My major pet peeve with unemp. is that they are not strict enough in forcing people to find jobs or helping them do so. Cant speak for whole US, but in VA, as long as you report at least two places that you applied at during the course of a week, your check was mailed. The hardest part (not hard at all) was making sure you wrote it down, so if the office wanted a list, you could give it to them. When you 6 months deadline was approaching, go fill out an extension with the reason: unable to find employment.

I've seen so many people call and say they applied at some grocery store chain and some gas station every week because there are at least 10 of the stores and 20 of the gas stations within 15-20 miles.

I got laid off and the jerks cut my unemployment because I was in school. So, not only was I unable to pay my bills, I had late registration, no books, etc. I guess they would have preferred for me to stay at home and not work?!
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

Banned
    I'm not abusing anything... I'm merly checking my options...

I agree w/ your opinion rcgreen. I've taken all 6 months of my UI merly because I had a chance to work oversees. (double income) which helped me to pay for college in the long run. I have no problem w/ anyone doing the same. What I have a problem w/ is all the losers getting pregnant and goverment taking care of them. Hell ... I know Puertorican family w/ 6 kids in subsidized housing and on food stamps (no racism here... i know there are plenty of whites just like that)

ps ....how'bout goverment starting a war that half the country doesn't want .... talking about waste of money...

I'm pretty sure that "quitting" doesn't count as "unemployment". Its for people that get layed off or fired, not for those that just don't want to work or don't like their job. Face it, most people don't like their job or their boss but they don't weight, quitting and collecting gov't money vs. working and earning money. The unemployment commision calls your former employeer to find out if you are eligable for benefits, so telling your boss to **** off probably isn't your best move. I'm pretty sure he'd tell the people this when they call.

they usually do a phone conference via three-way to make sure both sides are valid.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!