Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Distros

Linux Distros

What distros are you guys using and is there a new distro worth watching? I've been a fan of debian for years and I want to try something else. I just don't have the time to go through 5 distros a day like I used to.

Currently, redhat9 and will be switching to FC4 very soon.
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

AO Senior Cow-beller

Ooo-BOON-too

Ubuntu 5.04

Of course, based on debian so it'll be familiar. The differences you'll see are the usability and and locale options. The stable version has 2.6.10, instead of 2.4. I prefer it over everything else I've used, but if you/re looking for a change from Debian, this may not be enough of a difference to interest you.

Gentoo? Wanna do a LFS that's not really LFS?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Slackware9.0 ->Slackware9.1 -> Slackware10.1
    Lets stop Thinking and start Drinking!

I'm a Debian user, but I have experimented with Gentoo Linux. Gentoo requires the user to configure and compile thier own system. It is basically a live CD with tools & scripts just for building Linux. You use internet connection to download the latest packages.

Gentoo also has an update system similar to FreeBSD's ports collection.

If you're hardcore, this one could build one lean, mean, and highly optimized machine.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=789\"A dark angel of sin, preying deep from within...\" - Rob Halford

I have Fedora RC4 right now on my server (which is down currently due to a bad onboard memory controller).

I dont know releases that well, im basically using the same distro as a friend so he can help me learn the os. From what ive used of fedora i like it, but i havent really got into the advanced stuff yet.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Windows XP Pro [Well ....... SOMEONE had to say it ]

I've just taken delivery of the Ubuntu as well, also trying out the Fedora [core 3]

I've got Clark Connect as the 'go-between' for my system to ADSL router too, not really a distro, but it IS Linux ................
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

yesterday i tried the free version from Ubuntu i.e. 5.04 and find it very easy to install as compared to redhat9. I like its lightweight gui and easily configurable options.
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    FC3 and Knoppix STD.

Downloading Helix to play with.

Gentoo for almost a couple of years now, was Slackware before that and Mandrake before that.

Since switching to Gentoo I haven't really looked around to change.