Firefox AdBlock extension disabled?

Thread: Firefox AdBlock extension disabled?

AO Senior Cow-beller

Question Firefox AdBlock extension disabled?

So, I noticed all the ad's I normally blocked showing up today. No idea why. I look down in the tray of my Firefox window, and the Adblock section says Disabled instead of Adblock like it usually does.

I thought that was unusual, so I fiddeled around some withe a few settings with no luck. I uninstalled the Extension, then reinstalled it, and it came back the same way.

Finally, I took the time to look closely at the options, and found that the check box at the top of the page "Enable Adblock" was unchecked. I am 97.436% sure I did *not* uncheck it in the last day or two. So how could this have happened? I installed the BugMeNot.com extension. I did look at a few settings, but I didn't do much of anything.

Is it me being paranoid, or has someone figured out how to interact with and disable Adblock remotely? I know, it sounds far fetched. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Im assuming you have done the normal set of malware removal scans? anything turn up?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Is it me being paranoid, or has someone figured out how to interact with and disable Adblock remotely? I know, it sounds far fetched. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
    when some one wants to make money off you seeing an annoying add nothing is to far fetched but i have not had any problems like that at least not yet, maby you unchecked it by accdent or something but like XTC64 said if you did adware scans if something came up i would look into that.

I too use Adblock but I have not experienced this issue - I will also say that I don't have a ton of ads currently blocked, so maybe I'm not that great of an example, but I thought I'd ad my $0.02. I don't feel that Adblock could be disabled remotely, if so, it would seem to me that Firefox has some sort of gaping hole - I would start with what XTC46 has said and run the normal scans, see if by chance anything turns up...
    - Maverick

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Yes, the system is clear, except for the typical data mining cookies and whatnot that always show up from my infrequent but necessary use of IE.

I'll keep digging and report in if I learn more.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Just a thought, I assume you are using the most current version of Adblock and v1.0.6 of Firefox?
    - Maverick

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Roger that. Sorry, I realize I haven't given up a lot of the usal details.

XP Pro SP1, Firefox 1.0.6, Adblock v.5 d2 * nightly 39.

Hoopy Frood
    Couldn't it just be a bug in the code? A few of my many extensions have small quirks I learn to love *cough* and work around.
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Originally posted here by zencoder
    Roger that. Sorry, I realize I haven't given up a lot of the usal details.

XP Pro SP1, Firefox 1.0.6, Adblock v.5 d2 * nightly 39.

No problem..

That's the exact setup I'm running on my system here at work - again, I don't have a ton of ads blocked, but I have not experienced this problem personally...

Hmmm, could be buggy code but I'm wondering what is triggering it? Perhaps another extension that is installed? Have you installed any new extensions as of late?
    - Maverick