Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unemployment question ... USA

Banned

unemployment question ... USA

Here's my question. I was on a unemployment for the whole duration of 6 months about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. I was working out of country after the 6 months ran out and only recently got real job in which I am currently employed for about 4 months. My questions are:

How soon is a person elegible for unemployment benefits AFTER he/she has used up his/her benefits the first time. Does it depend on the "time" between application for UB or on "time worked"

The reason I'm asking is because the things are beggining to look rather shaky at my job.

Also ... How will they calculate my monthly ... is it gonna be "all the time" (unemployed and employed) avereged ... which will mean I will get practicaly nothing or "just the "employed time" will determine my monthly/weekly ... whatever

Any help

uh, there is no time lapse, as far as i know.

if you are unemployed, you are eligible.
    You could have gotten an extension on the first 6 months of benefits you received.

If over a year has elapsed, i dont see any reason why you would not be eligible.
    They do calculate your check based on what you made and the time you were there.

For example someone making 30k at a job for a year will get a bigger unemp check than a person that made 30k but only worked for 6 months.

i've had friends that work temporary assignments and apply for unemployment everytime each assignment ends. It's a big hassle, but it works.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

Banned
    Bush killed the extension of 3 months ... I don't really care but if all the ppl before me got it why shouldn't I ... anyway.

What if you get paid by the hour... are they gonna take my earnings for 4 months that I worked "so far" and devide it by 2 years (or whatever the timeframe they use to determine that) or are they only gonna use the 4 months.

Obviously if they use 2 years for the devision I'll get a check of $20 per week which is nothing.

AOs Resident Troll
    Wht dont you phone\visit your local unemployment office....and ask them?
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Banned
    Because I'd have to stay on hold for hours and I'm at work right now. I figured someone here'll know /been in the same situation.

Basically I just wanna know if I can afford to tell my boss to ****-off... (Yeah .. I said it!)

AOs Resident Troll
    Well for those kinda long hold times ...I use my speaker phone...

As for the unemployment laws where you are...I am not sure if the US has federal laws governing this or if it is local??

Here in Canada...its federal...and we have websites with the info too

Also here in Canada..if you quit or are fired with cause..you do not qualify.....or you have penalties

What I am saying...before you go telling your boss what you REALLY think of him...I would be sure I fully understand the consequences of your actions.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

i got unemployment for a job i worked a year.
    I made 8.50 an hour bringing home gross 340/week and net 276/week (i claimed no exemptions)

my unemployment check for that job was 156/week.

Maybe that will help.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

if you quit a job you better have a real good reason and it cant be because you think your boss is an ass-hole. he/she has to be doing something really wrong and you must be able to prove it at a hearing and your x boss will be there saying your lying.

you may still be able to collect after a penelity period of 5 weeks or more but you'd only be entitled to what you've accumulated in the four months you've been working.

as a general rule...never quit a job unless you have another one to go to. if you want a job that doesn't suck you either have to know somebody or make the right moves. this is not a 'right move'.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

OK you may wonder at a Limey replying.......................please listen to Tedob1's advice I really would not leave a job without another to go to.

Also remember that a potential employer looks for loyalty and consistency. A general rule of thumb (over here at least) is to wait a year.

Being laid off is no stigma, it happens, same story with company relocates.............leave because you think the boss is a jerk, and unfortunately that makes you a jerk. I know that sounds bad, but it is a fact of life.

Have you looked at the tax angle?...........are you due any rebates from the fiscal when you got laid off?

Did you pay tax when you were working abroad?..............I mean local tax............send me a PM if you are shy........section 485 of US dual taxation agreements can be quite fun

Up to you pal

Banned
    "you may still be able to collect after a penelity period of 5 weeks or more but you'd only be en titled to what you've accumulated in the four months you've been working"

what do you mean by that... i haven't been collecting for 1 +1/2 or so and only legally working for about 4 months... don't i get the full 6 months of unemployment or do i only get 4 months