Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing... Google Talk!

Hoopy Frood

Introducing... Google Talk!

Hey all,
    Google released their own Instant Messenger today named Google Talk. You can get it from http://talk.google.com

Any additions to this thread, I would wish to not be on the subject of "why do we need another instant messenger?" That was already beaten to a pulp on Slashdot. Anything else goes, including swapping of Screen-names! Mine's in my signature! Add me if ye'd like! (It uses your Gmail address as your SN.)

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I just DL'ed it i will post again with a progress report but it looks cool
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hoopy Frood
    It is very cool from what I've used so far. It is somewhat lacking in features so far (remember, it's still in Beta), but its simplicity is almost a relief. The Audio Chat works superbly and the lag experienced on it is extremely negligible. The delay between speaking and the other end receiving is only slightly worse than a regular land line in my tests so far, but this was just a test across town with both users on DSL. I will post more data as I get it.

- Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I'm really starting to dislike Googles wolf-in-sheeps-clothing tactics. If you read the about section ( http://www.google.com/talk/about.html ) you'll see that there are a few "fishy" things there, for example:

When you use Google Talk, you can choose to have your IM chats stored locally on your own computer so that you have a chat history. Google does not collect the content of instant message chats or voice conversations. As with all major IM services, Google Talk will collect certain log information created in the course of a conversation. This information is for Google's internal use only, to maintain statistics on usage and to improve our service and the user experience. We do not permanently store any personally-identifying information in the Google Talk logs. And we do not log any of the content of your chats or calls.
    Theres also a suggestion of automatic updating. Dont get me wrong, I like google, I just think their getting big-headed.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

As I posted here I do like this IM..

Especialy the fact that it does seem to co-op nicely with other IM clients (and soon possibly even SIP phones)..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

OPk so basicly no AIM-Google Talk - ICQ conversations, well that sucks !

I added xierox just to try it out so xierox await an messager from me

mine is anghellicxtc@gmail.com
    O.G at A.O

well just downloaded the setup took a second
    i am using it!
    hope i can get some contacts :P
    invited you copyright...
    hope get some good list

mir.mir@gmail.com

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

They Killed Windows 98

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by Noia
    I'm really starting to dislike Googles wolf-in-sheeps-clothing tactics. If you read the about section ( http://www.google.com/talk/about.html ) you'll see that there are a few "fishy" things there, for example:

Theres also a suggestion of automatic updating. Dont get me wrong, I like google, I just think their getting big-headed.
    Just posted on Slashdot this morning:
    "The New York Times has an article titled "Relax, Bill Gates; It's Google's Turn as the Villain" (also evil but at least free registration required) According to the article, the "go-getting" attitude of Google is coming across as arrogance to many people in the Valley. More importantly, it draws attention to the fact that Google has drained the market of talent, caused a 25% to 50% hike in salaries and made it difficult for startups to get funding."
    Obligatory post: I for one welcome our new Google overlords. Oh crap. This isn't slashdot. Nevermind.

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by the_JinX
    As I posted here I do like this IM..

Especialy the fact that it does seem to co-op nicely with other IM clients (and soon possibly even SIP phones)..
    Hot dang, I'm getting slow in my old age.

-- Søren Kierkegaard