Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Delphi] Building my own webserver.

Ahhh screw you too... why can't you accept the fact that im a big lesbo and you can't have me, HT.

Well, back to the topic of security...

You ask if you write a program that listens on some port, port x, will that compromise your computer?

My answer is you will be compromised if you do some big foul-up and create a buffer-overrun condition that somehow manages to get code into the heap (not as easy to do if your attacker can't see the code at all) or if you overlook some special cases/states of your application and do not apply your rule enforcement across the entire application. (an example of this is hacking some feature in later and forgetting to update a few components with your modifications)

Otherwise simply opening a port does nothing.

It really just comes down to the service (web server, ftp server, ms p2p fileshare server, dns server, instant messenging server, your delphi application, etc) that owns that port being secure against attacks against that service/application itself.

Remember - the port is just a part of TCP/IP that allows your computer to easily communicate with other computers. It is the application that you write (that uses that port) that determines if you will have problems or not letting any user of the internet access it.

Just plan the application through and you should be alright...and be sure to test it and see if you can break it yourself to catch stuff you may have overlooked.