Authorities Arrest Zotob Suspects

Thread: Authorities Arrest Zotob Suspects

Authorities Arrest Zotob Suspects

It's refreshing to see that sometimes these guys get tracked down.

Local police have arrested several people in Turkey and Morocco under suspicion of involvement in last week's spate of computer worms, according to Microsoft. The worms known as Zotob, Rbot and Mytob, targeted the software giant's Windows 2000 operating system.
    Now if the "legal" system will do something more that slap these guys/gals on the fanny, then maybe we will see progress.

Full Story

Cheers:
    DjM

Banned
    Hmmm... The problem would be to determine if what they did was illegal according to local laws. Countries with no or almost no laws regarding the Internet tend to end up as freeplaces for these hackers.
    The second problem would be proving that these guys are guilty. Do these countries have enoug experts to prove that they are the ones? What if they claim some hacker hacked their systems and thus they themselves are not to blame? What if they manage to show that their computers were used by multiple people?

Catching them is one thing. Getting the right criminals convicted is another problem...

Originally posted here by Katja

Hmmm... The problem would be to determine if what they did was illegal according to local laws.
    They arrested them, therefore it follows, there must be a law.

Do these countries have enoug experts to prove that they are the ones?
    I am pretty sure Micro$oft & the FBI will make sure of that.

What if they claim some hacker hacked their systems and thus they themselves are not to blame? What if they manage to show that their computers were used by multiple people?
    Computer Forensics are a wonderful thing darl'in, ask Hogfly.

Catching them is one thing. Getting the right criminals convicted is another problem...
    Tell that to the German teenager that has been sentenced to 21 month's probation for his involvement with the Sasser worm that shut down millions of computers worldwide.

Cheers:
    DjM

Banned
    Now if the "legal" system will do something more that slap these guys/gals on the fanny, then maybe we will see progress.
    Nope... sure its like a broken record and all, two years if that but mostly just fines for defacers and malware writers. But... and its funny you know, the DMCA and the like can land you around five to fifteen years? And lets not forget Gary McKinnon.

Maybe you'll understand this though... suicide is for people with hope, I mean, I know that I for one won't be going anywhere when I die. Some people will take a direction towards success & other people will beleave the lie that is their existance... but then there is always another number of people who decide to fallow where they know their life is headed. Ummm... like down hill.

[offtopic]

suicide is for people with hope
    . . . and hopeless cowards.

The waking-death is for masochists, those who understand the course of history, and jilted lovers . . .

[/offtopic]