Thread: Ping

Ping

The most basic diagnostic tool utility to test communications in the wold of networking is Ping.
    If you cannot connect to a system, try to ping it's IP asdress using the format
    C:\>ping 202.000.000.000.

You can also use the name of the server, for example
    C:\>ping www.yahoo.com.
    If you're trying to fix your own system and want to ping continuously for testing purposes, use the -t option, for example
    C:\>ping -t 202.000.000.000.

Finally, if you want to try to obtain the name of the computer for which you already know the IP address, type ping -a 202.000.000.000, and the name of the system will usually be returned to you.

This is helpful in cases where your firewall logs show a potential hacker's IP, and you want to know which ISP they are using for the purposes of reporting them.

Thanks for reading ... should come in handy

Wow, or you could just open command prompt and type in ping /?

yours is just a little more detailed....
    O.G at A.O

Alternatively if you want several tools in the one application, complete with GUI, then try Sam Spade:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...id,4709,00.asp

Banned
    Originally posted here by nihil
    Alternatively if you want several tools in the one application, complete with GUI, then try Sam Spade:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...id,4709,00.asp

I'm not sure. Sam Spade seems pretty old if you ask me. The website http://www.samspade.org where you could find it in the past seems to be down and version 1.14 seems to be the last one.
    An alternative (not free) would be AET Tracer Pro. I like this tool because it displays a world map and shows you the route from where you are to where the traced IP number is related. So you can see if someone originates from the USA, Australia or wherever else.
    A trace to 200.000.000.000 for example resulted in the attached map. Of course, it also provides all information in textual form too. It can do WhoIs and a few other things and basically is an interesting tool to use.

Or, if you like programming, you buy Borland Delphi 2005 Professional (or better) and by using the Indy components (that are part of it) you can start writing your own tools. But that's just for the skilled programmers.

I'm not sure. Sam Spade seems pretty old if you ask me
    AFAIK the underlying tools have not changed significantly?

Banned
    I think the WhoIs databases have changed a bit. There will probably quite a few domains not that SpamCop will have some problems with.
    And of course SpamCop now refers to a site that does not exist anymore. (In case you want to visit their homepage.) SpamCop is still nice if you just want to retrieve a webpage in it's raw form, including headers and whatever, but there are plenty of other tools that can do that too now. Sam Spade 1.14 was created in 1999 if I'm not mistaken.
    It is about time that someone writes a better version of this tool, though. Many companies have done so already, yet they don't offer it for free. And the number of commercial products is quite large, for things that any developer with a bit experience could write, if they want to...

My personal fav

http://www.dnsstuff.com
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

AO Senior Cow-beller

33% More Geeky!

I use samspade.org all the time to look up stuff and whatnot (Do Stuff! I even have the firefox thingy for my search bar at the top right that will "Do Stuff!") Just cuz the reference sites may not be 100% up-to-date means we should pitch what has already been done.

Besides, I have BASH and a plethora of utilities; I can do almost all of this without some custom fancy app I have to learn anyway. If you don't know what I mean, go read the Security and Other Tutorials forums, then come back. It's all there, waiting for the unlearned to go read it and become 'learned'.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Smile AET Tracer Pro

Thanks Katja for the info on AET Tracer Pro, I'm sure it's an iteresting program which I'd like to know more about, however I did find the following on the website link that you gave
    " E-mail Tracer.
    One click interface to trace the sender of an e-mail"

My question to you, and I hope that you respond to it is, does it provide you with an IP Address of the computer which originally sent the Email that you're trying to trace?

Regards,

BB

Banned
    As far as I know, it tries to examine the email headers to determine the origin of the email. Just like SpamCop is doing with their website. In my experience, SpamCop does it a lot better (and is free) but there's one thing you have to keep in mind: if the original IP number isn't in the email then you will not be able to discover it. With GMail you will have this problem. GMail is actually hiding the IP number of the sender in all emails sent through their services. This makes GMail a good tool to stay anonimous on the Internet, which also increases it's popularity. (That, and the 2 GB of mail space, of course.)

No tool can trace the sender if some server in-between is hiding this information...

AET tracer still does a good job in analysing email headers and returning the information that you like to know.