Thread: C++ compilers for win xp home

Angry C++ compilers for win xp home

ok
    I've tried everything except VC++ but that thing doesnt alllow pointers gives some freaky memory exception if i even use a -> anywhere in the program and most other compilers dont seem to run on XP home or somthing
    yes I know I shld switch to XP pro or better still get linux I cant however due to some reasons
    ( pro cause it costs too much to upgrade and linux cause I've got to be able to play cs and sh!t ;-) )

any way these work fine in win 2000 nt and on pro but somthing fraks it out in home any suggestions..?
    thanx for any in advance
    anything that doesn\'t kill you or your dreams only makes you stronger

I don't think memory management would be any different in Windows XP Home than any of the other members of the Windows 5.x family.

What compilers have you tried?
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=789\"A dark angel of sin, preying deep from within...\" - Rob Halford

ye ai've tried dev cpp I've tried the whole teurbo and the borland series
    and a couple of other obscure ones i found when i googled for them
    havent been able to download GCC cause of the college athourities having done somefreaky thing in the proxy settings and sh!t any way know of any others
    and the error i get is somthing like this program is not suitable to be run under windows or dos environment

and no I didnt dld the *nix evrsion they were proper exe files for the setup
    any way help plz ..?

Most installations of Dev-C++ come with GCC.
    Check your compilers \bin directory for gcc.exe, g++.exe, ect.

Are you sure it isn't your code( Object->Method when it should be Object.Method )?

I doubt its the OS.
    I don't have Windows XP Homeā„¢ at work or home, to experiment with.
    You could try compiling someone elses code that has the -> operator.

Sorry, if I'm not being helpful.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=789\"A dark angel of sin, preying deep from within...\" - Rob Halford

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    I have an XP Home PC running Visual Studio 6 Dev. Ed., and I don't have any problems with VC++. What version of VC++ are you trying to run?
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

yea i have tried the code else where it wrks fine maybe the compilers corrupt or somthing
    I've just started dld ing smthing called jpp thats supposed to compile C++ as well
    we'll see
    thanx all if this wrks which i hope it does i'll end up staying up all night finishing my assig
    if it doesnt I end up waliking to the labs and sh!t
    any way I'll keep u all updated

Huh?

the Blood Dev C Compiler, while possibly committing the faux pas of making an obscure reference to the Linux garbage can, is an exceptional compiler once the price has been taken into account. Should it fail to respond properly, and you are sure the code you've written is correct, I would blame a faulty installation. Uninstall and download from another source.

If you can't download because of proxies, I would contact your network administrator immediately, and explain your concerns about his crippling of your internet service. I find it highly unlikely that this is the case, as I can see no reason for doing so.

Microsoft Visual C#, despite being a bastardization of an otherwise perfect and complete language, is a useful tool for expiditing the process of creating GUI applications. But you don't have to take my word for it. You could download V, as you previously suggested, but no, neither of these programs (to my knowledge) will grant you permission to use pointers as direct references to locations in memory. To do so would allow inept, careless, or even distracted programmers to unwittingly create memory leaks by placing objects on the stack without ever resolving them, thus defeating the managed code environment presented by Microsoft Intermediate Language, in turn creating buggy code, whose corrections could cause days or weeks spent in the labs.

However, the OS shouldn't be a problem. And that Borland Compiler? It's not free anymore; all you can get are command line tools.

Hope this lets you see things in a new light. Have fun, and don't give up. To code is devine.

mission successfull

yup u were right it was faulty installation dev CPP it is thank go i can code in my room now
    thanx all
    esp. Fushiryo and seek&destroy

thanx again

Thanks for the info of Bloodshed's compiler. I have it, and it won't use my coding, and even some of its own tutorial codings! I will have to try to reinstall it.