The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Thread: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Having been around many disasters I can attest that they bring out the best and the worst of humanity. It was really brought home a few minutes ago as I was watching the news.

The Good: I witnessed many with that great humanitarian spirit putting forth the helping hand to those victims of Hurricane Katrina. Also as quickly as they can be mobilized, we will also observe the dedication, pledges of equipment and assistance that will come from all the various agencies and citizens.

The Bad: Those that will not do anything to help those in need. But yet they will be the first to plead for help when the vigoro hits the mixmaster in their area.

And the UGLY: the price gouging that always seems to follow after such events, the looting by the dregs of society, and the insurance fraud that will be prevalent.

Hopefully they will all be repaid in kind! But in the mean time what should we do about the UGLY?

!~cheers~!
    Connection refused, try again later.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    vigoro hits the mixmaster
    Sorry you'll need to explain that to me.

I think we saw the same reaction in London, lots of people healping each other out and greedy hotels ramping prices when no one could get home.

I did notice that GWB cancelled his holiday to come back to work. I don't think our Tony would give up his junket.

There's also reported that there was a looter in New Orleans that shot an policeofficer in the head when he tried to stop the looter.

In my opnion these looters are the lowest of lifeforms.
    Looting peoples abandonded homes while it lays in shambles ... like it's not bad enough that peoples homes are destroyed , these looters are stealing the few things these people have left.

On New Orleans' Canal Street, which actually resembled a canal, dozens of looters ripped open the steel gates on clothing and jewelry stores, some packing plastic garbage cans with loot to float down the street. One man, who had about 10 pairs of jeans draped over his left arm, was asked if he was salvaging things from his store. "No," the man shouted, "that's EVERYBODY'S store!"
    Source

It's a disgrace to humanity these looters.

On the other hand like the police commisionner said in an interview, He (and I) could live with the fact that people loot a store for food and water in these times of misfortune and missery.

But don't go looting electronic stores, shoestores or peoples homes ...that's just sick.

They should help people instead of loot ... it makes me sick these looters.

Sorry had to have this of my chest ...

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi Relyt,

Unfortunately...there's not much we can do about the Ugly.

Eg

Hey Aspman

Vigoro hits the mixmaster
    Vigoro = fertilizer, mixmaster = a stirring device

**** hits the fan.

--It is inconceivable for me to watch the gougers do what they do. I remember a previous hurricane where a bag of ice was going for $100 USD and 5 gallons of gasoline was $400 USD. Fortunately, the government has put a ceiling on price increases during natural disasters. Hopefully that will help curtain the thievery.

--Whether it is legal or not, I do not have issue with a man/woman taking food, a reasonable amount of clothing and water for their family to survive. However, those that are heisting TVís, Jewelry, weapons out of sporting good shops, and such, are enemies of humanity. They are stealing from you and I and we will have to suffer from price increases at our stores.

--Another source of price increase for us will come from insurance fraud. Itís doesnít seem that people are content with a just compensation for their loses. No, many will cheat us by submitting false claims and the like. This will also cost you and I through rate increases. I personally observed a classic example of this after one of our hurricanes. The house of a man I knew was undamaged during and after the hurricane. But yet he deliberately opened up his door and tossed mud, sand, and water on his carpet in order to have it replaced. He didnít know that the insurance adjuster was at my house watching

!~cheers~!
    Connection refused, try again later.

********** |ceWriterguy
    No matter how hard they try, they can't stop all the looters. The front page of today's local paper in my town is showing a guy with a laundry basket full of beer. Guess he figured he could tie one on good and proper and ride out the remainder of the flood. Ah well. At least it's hot (no electricity to make ice or cool beer).

Understanding the Herculean efforts necessary to repair the damaged or destroyed levees and pump out the existing floodwaters, my biggest fear isn't so much the looting (everyone's pretty much lost everything there anyway), it's the disease which will follow. Look for outbreaks of disentery, influenza/pneumonia, rheumatic fever, and possibly even plague before this is over. That's raw sewage mixed with the flood waters they're wading in folks, along with well over 200 years worth of rotten garbage, not to mention the bacteria content from all those corpses (both fresh and in cemeteries) that're exposed to the water now. With medical treatment completely unavailable, no electricity, no routes out of the city save via boat, no way to cool off, no flushing water for toilets or drinking water or water in which to bathe, it's only a matter of time. They'll have their little looting party now, but sooner or later they'll learn they can't eat that TV they stole.

On price gouging - Shoot the bastards. The simplest solution is to not do business with them, and remember who tried to gouge. On 9/11 there was a guy who upped his gas price to well over $5 a gallon. Within minutes he had several hundred angry people in his store ready to tear his head off. It didn't help much that he was arabic either. The next morning the store was under new management, and within a week it was owned by someone else. A little anger en-masse goes a very long way.

Just my nickel's worth.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

In the end, this looting is pointless. They dont have a home to take it back to!!

They're gonna start experiencing real back problems when they keep carrying around all that extra jewelry, clothing, dvds, etc. Give them time, they'll realize the ignorance they possess.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!