Thread: Dynamically Resizing Linux Ubuntu

Dynamically Resizing Linux Ubuntu

I recently installed linux ubuntu on my powerbook and am totally new to linux. Is there a software that I could use to resize my main linux partition without losing what i have so i can dual boot ubuntu and Mac OS X? I tryed to leave unpartioned space for this but ubuntu always tryed to install onto part of it. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
    Mormegil

Never mind I fixed it : )
    Mormegil

generally you would post the fix...that way this thread isnt absolutley uselss.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Okay Mr. XTC46. The main problem I had is my partitioning program came with the Ubuntu install. So when partitioning I had to leave a partition for Mac OS X but Ubuntu would always try to use the partition I set aside. I could not leave it as free space because the mac install does not read empty space on a HD, I tryed it. So I started the Ubuntu CD partitioned my 80GB hd into 50 GB and the rest as free space. After partitioning I canceled the install and installed OS X on the 50 GB partition I had just made. After doing this I went back to the Ubuntu install and let it auto-partition the free space I had left. After the install I am left with a dual booting mac with a wonderful boot screen that lets me choose the operating system I desire, or CD-ROM. W00T!!!
    Mormegil

AO Senior Cow-beller
    That, or you could have told Ubuntu, via expert mode, to separate the drive into 50 and 30 GB partitions.

I mean, great, it worked. But cancelling the install just so you can use the disk editor is kinda clunky. But that's cool, it worked. Good job.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I actually did try to manually size the partition, but I am not familiar with linux at all so I did not know what partitions it needed. So every time I tryed to part on my own and tell the 50 GB not to be used(which you can do) Ubuntu could not install.
    Mormegil