Thread: How to become a geek for the newbie... ask the right ?

Wink How to become a geek for the newbie... ask the right ?

NateDoggz's Tutorial for learning how to be a computer geek for people who are not geeks already..... This is my first tutorial... hope its not too bad.....

I wrote this tutorial for all the new people that are interested in computers but do not know where to start learning.....
    This is not a hacking tutorial...

Requirements:
    Atleast two computers.....
    A good bit of time....
    Motivation.....

Wow... sounds hard huh?

Sections:

A) This is my newbie story that I think is very important for this tutorial... you can skip it.....
    B) How to learn new things and how to ask the right questions to become a geek......
    C) Are books useful and how to use search engines to find what your looking for?.....

Section A)

This a short story of how I became a geek
    It may not be interesting but its a good example of the right questions:

I was born 01-03-87 and I live in a very computer illiterate place.... I got my first computer when I was about 9 years old... It was an old slow 386 with orange or green text... There were no 32 bit display adapters or SVGA monitors.... I had a nice collection of 5 1/4 inch floppies... The big black things you might not ever see again.... My grandfather brought me this lovely machine when he came to visit one year.... It ran a very old version of DOS and would do basically nothing..... A year later or so, He brought the "family" a 486 with windows 3.11.... with a 256 color display monitor..... I remember all the 3 1/2 floppies he had to install to get that thing working.... Not to long after that... I started playing around with it and tried forcefully to plug the monitor into the serial port.... Which broke the pins and we had to fix the monitor.... I got a little discouraged but it didn't stop me from tinkering more.... I cannot count how many times I have messed a computer up.... Not to long after my uncle sent me a Compaq Deskpro 2000 (90mhz pentium)... with windows 95 and 96 megs of edo ram.... That was my baby right there.... I started building computers after this point... adding ram and sound cards.... When I first got internet... it was AOL 3.0 and I had a 9600 baud modem... I refused to use it because it was so slow... and my uncle told me that It wasn't that bad... most people don't have that is what he said... Well eventually I got a 14.4 baud and then a 28.8 modem... and began to enjoy the internet... even behind AOL's parental controls....

This is where the story really begins.... So here I am.... 11 years old going on 12.... and all I can do is hang around the kid's only section of AOL and play trivia games.... This had to change.... so I discovered Internet Explorer.... which wouldn't work because of my restrictions..... I complained to dad... and he moved me to the next level of restrictions (young teen). Now I could use Internet Explorer and begin to get by the parental controls with the use of proxy addresses.... I am not sure how It was that I came across proxy addresses... or what made me look for them.. but I found them.

I was about 13 when I downloaded my first virus.... I remember crying and calling my uncle... telling him my hard drive was dead and I didn't know what to do.... I had downloaded what was supposed to be an AOL punter... which kicks people offline.... it was a nasty virus.... still one of the worst I have ran across.... Over the phone I had to learn how to re-partition, re-format, and re-install windows...... this was a challenge..... after that I was determined to not do that again.... about the same time period I wanted to start making a website.... so I loaded up Microsoft Word.... created a new html document... and copied the source code onto notebook paper and began to figure out how it worked.... when I had figured out what tags did what... I began to program with Notepad... I was so proud... This led to the need for more knowledge... I started copying and pasting java scripts.... this became a problem when source codes go to big for notepad.... this was my first "Crack"... Figuring out how to change notepad to suite my needs.... then I began editing images.... which led to another problem... alot of the programs I was using expired after a certain time.... so this too had to change..... I began to learn how to crack programs and edit them with hex editors..... another major step in programming....

Shortly after I got into console emulation and was running SNES on my computer... I was not fortunate enough to have SNES like the rest of the kids... and this was a major thing..... While I was downloading emulators I ran across a saying, "For those of you with a real computer... download this version of SNES for linux"... I began to wonder what linux was.... This led to alot of headaches....

I also discovered a tool in DOS called Qbasic... which didn't come with windows.... and I began playing with that..... look it up....

I will stop here at age 13... and continue my tutorial on how to become a geek.......

Section B)

Well, If you made it this far.... and you know that you want to become a computer geek here are some suggestions:

Start with Microsoft OS before trying linux......

If you want to learn how to build computers.... It is a great idea to go purchase a few old 486 or pentium machines and experiment with them..... I suggest old computers because they are cheap and give you a great understanding of how technology has evolved.... I would find an Install for 95 or 98 and learn the DOS OS. Learn how to write batch files... FDISK and repartition your hard drive... Edit your autoexec.bat and config.sys.... change your boot screen... learn how to use safe mode.... and most of all... learn how to destroy your computer's operating system and bring it back to life......

If you want to become a programmer.... HTML is a great language to learn in.... start with notepad..... notepad is a great tool for beginners in programming... I would also suggest learning how to disassemble notepad and edit the code in hex so you can edit large files..... AKA cracking.... goto your favorite search engine and look up "notepad cracking tutorial".... it is a good place to start if you want to be a cracker.....

Once you become good at destroying and rebuilding your computer.... you can begin to grow as a geek.... you start helping other people with problems.... and then you really begin to learn..... I encourage you to try deleting files that are important just to see what happens and how to fix it..... this is the best way to learn how a computer works.... I cannot stress enough how important it is to help people with their computer problems.... every one of them is different... and its a great way to learn new things.... this is they way of the geek.....

Then if you feel that you have become a geek..... start talking like a geek... start acting like a geek.... start looking for ways to get your hands on every computer you see..... Join an online forum and start discussing things with other geeks and start helping new people with problems..... you will find that becoming a geek is a very natural thing....

Section C)

Books.... Books are great for reference but I wouldn't suggest learning much from a book... They are expensive when you compare them with the internet... If you purchase a book.... Don't get a how to program for dummies..... Get a real book....

Search the web for the tutorials you need... I have found that the only need for a book is if you are writing a program and you don't have dual monitors or if you don't have internet access while learning linux.....

Using search engines is a very important part of becoming a geek.... yahoo and google are the best in my opinoin.... they have programs and sites that search multiple search engines at once.... but they are not necessary.... use the -* option to elimanate junk.... IE: (how to install windows -linux -unix -mac -dos -buy -free -try -hack) Just get rid of words that have nothing to do with what your looking for and you should find anything you need..... Also, learn what freeware is and download the Anarchy Cookbook.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is it for my tutorial.... if I don't get flamed for this one... its possible I will make a few more.....
    If you have any questions.... read the last part section C over again.....

NateDoggz

A Tutorial (personal life history?!?!) on how to become a geek ? Nobody wants to become a geek, maybe some do, some don't even like to be called geeks. How about computer literate people ?

Wow, Thread sucks IMO.....

EDIT: Sorry, this time i actually read beyond section A, and there is so much bullshit in there i don't even want to start talking about it because i'd have to quote almost every sentence and correct it.

Sorry bud. Thumbs down.
    O.G at A.O

Red face Save it

I agree with CopyRight ....

Too much on what you need to do
    but not on how to do it !!