24 meg broadband
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 meg broadband

Regal Making Handler

24 meg broadband

For 20.00 a month. Unbelieveable.

from here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/31/be_broadband/

Londoners are being offered the chance to hook up to superfast broadband for just 20 a month as part of a trial for local loop unbundling (LLU) by operator Be.

The ISP wants "as many people as possible" to sign up to the trial ahead of a commercial launch later in the month. The service - based on ADSL2+ technology - is able to deliver speeds of up to 24 meg.
    In the last 12 months my ISP (Tiscali) has upped my speed from 512 kbps to 1 meg and now 2 meg and the price has come down.

Would be interesting to see what everyone elses net link is like.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I'm on PAYG broadband 1Mb with Metronet. The exchange has 2Mb max at the moment.

Unless im mistaken london is home to the largest ipx in the world, makes sense that they can up their speeds dramatically. especailly with all the people in the rural areas, they can have a lot of happy customers.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Although they do not advertise it .........
    the cable companies that have been covering the UK for quite some time now, with cable TV / phone / web access, are all massively under used.

the set speed of 512kB was what the market had been told to expect, so that's what they got.

Cable COULD go to 10MB across the country any time

ME:
    I'm using BT as the carrier, stuck at the 'basic' broadband speed of 512kB, and, for me at this location, the free upgrade to 1MB is NOT an option yet
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Regal Making Handler
    I thought IPX was a protocal.............................As opposed to some tangeable thing?

I'm not flaming you but do I detect a little envy of us Europeans advancing in this field, whilst the USA lags behind?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I use a small local reseller and get 3MB for about $25 Cdn (prepaid for six month, more month to month) along with exceptional service. 4MB is available from the same company, but at almost twice the price. From Bell Sympatico, the major Telco, the same service is ten dollars more per month (for the first twelve months -- in other words, it will go up . . .). Their max is 5MB. I have yet to find a better deal around here.

What reseller would that be hesperus ? Sounds like a good deal ....

P.S. My current provider is Netscape and I pay [ I mean my older brother ] about $21 for a stinking dial-up. But since were going to be purchasing a new comp were looking forward to upgrading to a faster connection ... Jeesh I feel like a tortoise compare to you guys ... Slow down and let me catch up ....
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Forgive the typo i, ment London INX For internet Exchange not ipx the protocol. Im also not american, im canadian. And cable speeds where im at are around 5-6mbps Using shaw, and i believe roadrunner in the states can go anywhere from 4-8.

So North America isnt lagging behind by much, and i really dont need any more then my 2.5mbps dsl.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    We're all behind South Korea. 100Mb to your house on offer there.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/GH30Dg01.html

What reseller would that be hesperus ?
    csolve.net. Well recommended.