Thread: SharedDocs Defaults

King Tutorial-ankhamun

SharedDocs Defaults

Hi all, I only have Win XP Pro so I was hoping someone could answer this for me. On Pro, the SharedDocs share is not on by default (at least with SP3). Is SharedDocs on by default on the Home version? When I do network scans it's frequently open, with write rights.

Hello mate,

XP Home -- If you have enabled multiple users on one PC then Shared Docs will be on - Remember its not just used to share files across a network but also for users of the same pc to be able to access each others music, videos, files etc...

I believe that if you have only one user setup with no password security at the login screen and dont have file and print sharing enabled then it wont be there.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

VICE
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

Regal Making Handler
    Is SharedDocs on by default on the Home version? When I do network scans it's frequently open, with write rights.
    Funny you should ask that. I was playing around with knoppix STD a while back, trying to get remote access to my desktop. Anyway I mannaged to find shares on a about 6 boxes not on my network. Was a bit of an eye opener.

I think by default xp home has fast user switching and multiple accounts enabled. Most OEMs do anyway. Administrator,Owner and what ever you create when you get your shiney new box. So you get the default shares. Files, music, video, etc.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry