Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Origin of Earth's water

Origin of Earth's water

Well after all this flooding I've been thinking of this question asked in school a long time ago.

Some people believe volcanic activity early on...some believe comets containing water, but comets carry heavy water and I believe our oceans only have a small percent of heavy water in them.

What do you believe?

********** |ceWriterguy
    Never gave it much thought, but off the cuff and in all seriousness, here's my thoughts:

Somewhere along the line, amidst the ozone and debris in our atmosphere during the volcanic stages of earth's birth, 2 hydrogen atoms collided and combined with an oxygen atom, and the first water molecule was born. It was lonely so it started a chain reaction, and *poof*.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    *poof*
    Now don't start going all technical on us |ce
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

********** |ceWriterguy
    So? I could've said that some of the other hydrogen and oxygen atoms got jealous at what the first had done, so they pestered it into revealing the secret so they could try for themselves...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Regal Making Handler
    What if the world was once a ball of matter surounded by water and vulcanic action created land masses?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

You want technical ?

Leonard Medal Paper: Submitted to: Meteoritics and Planetary Science, January, 2005

Revised: March, 2005
    ABSTRACT

I examine the origin of water in the terrestrial planets. Late stage delivery of water from asteroidal and cometary sources appears to be ruled out by isotopic and molecular ratio considerations, unless either comets and asteroids currently sampled spectroscopically and by meteorites are unlike those falling to Earth 4.5 Ga ago or our measurements are not representative of those bodies. However, the terrestrial planets were bathed in a gas of H, He and O. The dominant gas phase species were H2, He, H2O, and CO. Thus grains in the accretion disk must have been exposed to and adsorbed H2 and water. Here I conduct a preliminary analysis of the efficacy of nebular gas adsorption as a mechanism by which the terrestrial planets accreted “wet”. A simple model suggests that grains accreted to Earth could have adsorbed 1 – 3 Earth oceans of water. The fraction of this water retained during accretion is unknown, but these results suggest that examining the role of adsorption of water vapor onto grains in the accretion disk bears further study.
    http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...rth+.doc&hl=en

Regal Making Handler
    Come on guys all living things are mostly made up of water, that has got to say something of the origins of life. get as tech as you like. This is one of those questions that if you can answer, us mortals will bow down before you. Oh great and wise one.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?????????

As for heavy water, ever tried humping a 45 gallon drum of the stuff across 10 miles of rugged country. It's bloody heavy thats for sure.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    this is kinda off topic but did yall know that only 1% of the world's water is fresh drinkable water? and Lake Bakal in Russia has something 1/5 of that water in it! I think about that sometimes....
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Origin of Earth's water
    One day it REALLY rained

This is one of those questions that if you can answer, us mortals will bow down before you. Oh great and wise one.
    On your knees peasant
    and I'll tickle your chin when I've finished

[edit]
    this is kinda off topic but did yall know that only 1% of the world's water is fresh drinkable water? and Lake Bakal in Russia has something 1/5 of that water in it! I think about that sometimes....
    and did you know that the Sovs polluted the entire damn lake .................
    and that the Baltic was so polluted, it actually qualified as SOUP ............

so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

In a word...Neptune.