Thread: approach towards troubleshooting??

approach towards troubleshooting??

Hi all,
    I have a very basic question and hope it would contribute to the community. What would be your approach if an end user comes upto you and tell you that his corporate portal is not working or he tells you that his internet is down

What I would do is:

-- Ping my network gateway to see if its alive
    -- do 'nslookup/dig' to see if name servers are doing their job
    -- will do a 'tracert -d to corporate_portal' and see where it drops out

Well, that was my approach.Wondering, how would a geek look into these sort of situations, when he do not have access to the webserver hosting the corporate portal, does not have access to any proxy/NAT-ing device. How would a geek look into all this being on the client side with almost no administrative previliges to the server machines.

I would appreciate, if you people could list down any further utilities which gives you more freedom and liberty to diagnose the problem. (may be something like Hping).

Your input on this will be considered a great help. Looking forward to it.

there is one thing that has been missed.

ASK A QUESTION OR TWO..
    like: is this the only PC with the problem, is it All the pc's on the network or just a group
    be very careful when approaching a problem assuming too much..

edit
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Re: approach towards troubleshooting??

Hi there,

his corporate portal is not working
    When a user reports that a particular site is not working, it also good to check that he can access other sites.

We have a VPN solution with two access modes at my company. One for email only, the other for access to our complete Intranet. We sometimes get users complaining that they can't access a particular site on the Intranet, only to find that they are using the email only VPN.

From a troubleshooting perspective, you are taking the right steps. Always try to narrow down the possibilities. One thing to check as well can be the hosts file of the user's PC ... who knows what might have gotten in there.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

... tell you that his corporate portal is not working or he tells you that his internet is down
    What I would do is:

-- Ping my network gateway to see if its alive
    -- do 'nslookup/dig' to see if name servers are doing their job
    -- will do a 'tracert -d to corporate_portal' and see where it drops out
    My question here is, did you do this from your machine or his?

Several admins will probably cringe at this, but after you have checked from your end, walk them through it at their end ( or do it yourself remotely if necessary if you cringed.)

Just my thoughts.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

IKnowNot, I do this from several machines, depending upon the criticality of the problem. Anyways 24 hours are about to past and didnt get too much response.

When troubleshoot any networking problem I follow the OSI model
    http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/OSI_Layers.asp
    It sounds crazy but you never know, and its usually the simple things that are missed.