Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Username format?

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    I don't know...it just seems to me that you are adding additional administrative work for yourself.

If you are going to come up with a naming convention, like HRFC1411 (Human Resources File Clerk + Last 4 of SSN), and then tie it to betty.crocker@hr.generalfoods.com, you're not creating any less work, because when Betty marries Chef Boyardee, you'll be changing the email address to betty.boyardee@hr.generalfoods.com!

I don't know what server OS you are using, but I use Windows 2003 strictly as a domain controller, and I have a Exchange Server that is a member of the domain. All of my logins are structured as follows:

firstname.lastname@department.company.com

That way, I only have to change an account 1 time and it changes all of them. For my legacy systems, they use first initial, middle initial, last initial, last 4 of SSN (or month and year of birth...I don't make use of even the last 4 mandatory).

In the case of duplicates (people with the same first/last) I go by tenure...

i.e.: I have two employees named Orville Redenbacher. I pull the personnel file on them both. The one that was hired first is Orville.Redenbacher@sales.popsecretsucks.com. The other one gets his middle name used: Orville.W.Redenbacher@rd.popsecretsucks.com.

I also have a policy on name changes...I don't do them unless it is a Legal Name change. So when Ott down in accounting wants me to change his name from Otis.Spunkmeyer@it.hellagoodcookies.com to Ott.Spunkmeyer...I say "What's the name on your Social Security Card, cuz' that's the name I'm using, bro!
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

Re: Username format?

Originally posted here by mrlucifer
    hello people, quick question. I was wondering what was your favorite username format to use as a network administrator at a business. We are going through major transistions in our internal network and I am looking for a new way to identify users through the network and company. I really don't want to use first and last names because we are constantly having to change usernames due to name changes. I was thinking about this format:

Birthday 01/02/2005 SS#123-56-7890

username:027890

What do you think?
    FIRST INITIAL-LAST INITIAL [dept or # sign] year of birth

Mike Johnson - Payroll - 1975

MJ#1975 or MJPR1975

awesome feedback. Hands down, I think I am going to stick with the day of birth and the last 4 characters of the Social Security. Its easy and unique and discreet. I can easily standarized this username across many systems and easily tie it a smart card. The department thing wouldnt work because I have many users that work in many departments. Lastname initials and firstname initials would be a big hassle because we get many request for last name changes. and the whole email username would not work at all because most of our systems have a 8 character limit length. no worky. One thing we do enforce is a 10 character password. People really hate that. lol Thanks guys for all the info. More feedback is appreciated. ***I still can't believe my school made my user id as my SS!" sh*t and i didn't even notice it.