Thread: Merging two partitions

Merging two partitions

Hi,

I have three partitions on my box - the first one is 5GB, and the other two are both 30GB (all are FAT32). Now, the Windows OS is installed on the first partition - there are no other files or programs other than the bare bones stuff XP brings, on that one -, and the other two are used for data and programs respectively.

I partitioned the drive a few years ago (when I wan't great at computers! ), and so I made a mistake and made the XP partition a bit too small for its liking. I've tried to install Service Pack 2, but, you guessed it! There isn't enough room...

So, I've already backed up my data on the second partition, and am planning to merge the first two together. Yet, I have a few questions:

1) Should I defragment the first partition before doing so, or will that not be needed?
    2) Is there a - fair - chance that my Windows partition will be corrupted?
    3) Which program should I use?

I have heard quite a lot about Partition Magic, but the almighty nihil said in another thread a year ago:
    It never ceases to amaze me that people persist in using partition magic and other crap like that.....
    So, I'm unsure what to do! Hehe!

Thanks in advance,

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    no chance of buying a NEW HDD and mounting it on your existing HD at the primary partition ?

and I, personally, use Partition Magic, mainly because I didn't know of any other app that did the job, so I only know about PM.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hm, I guess I could buy a new HD, but I'm not really high in the cash sector... Well, thanks foxy - I guess I'll just use Partition Magic and see how it turns out!

So, should I defragment it, or should I just use PM and get the job done? I mean, I think I've run out of XP activations (via internet)... Hahaha! That means that I can't afford any muck-ups. *winks*

Thanks again.

AOs Resident Troll
    I would backup.......

before doing any thing.....

Software can be reinstalled...data....well you would have to recreate....

Then try Partiion Magic as suggested....

I think it tells you to make sure you have a backup before proceding anyway...good advice\!!

Foxy has the right idea.....new harddrive

I guess you then have to evaluate the risk...and how much is your data worth??..compared to the price a a new harddrive

IMHO

as always

MFG
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

So you also think I should buy a new HD, and set the current one up as slave? Well, I guess with a bit of convincing from my dad... *grins* But how would that help me fix the problem, though? I mean, I'd then have to install XP on the new master drive, and I have run out of activations - so it might just be a bit complex.

Alrighty, I've downloaded the PM demo, and am about to try it - wish me luck everyone!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I was suggesting that you MOUNT the new HD onto the primary partition ...

Primary = 5GB + 40GB HDD = 45 GB partition .............
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Oh, right. I didn't know that was possible Well, thanks for both your help foxy and morgan! I think I'm gonna try PM now, and see how that turns out - if that fails, then I only have myself to blame!