Using Windows Server 2003 as domain controller.

Thread: Using Windows Server 2003 as domain controller.

Using Windows Server 2003 as domain controller.

Okay, here's the home setup:

2Wire Homeportal attached to a computer downstairs.
    The Homeportal is configured to use DHCP on 172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0

Every computer in the house is on the Homeportals network, and uses it for internet connections, including my server. The server has a 2Wire 'Sharkfin' USB adapter, and the client that I'm trying to connect to it has a D-Link DWL-G630.

The Server runs Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
    The Client runs Windows XP Professional SP2
    The other computers don't count because they are irrelevant.

When I view the properties of my wireless connection on the server, I have the following installed:
    Client for MS Networks
    File and Printer Sharing
    Network Monitor Driver
    TCP/IP

The client has:
    Client for MS Networks
    File and Printer Sharing
    Network Monitor Driver
    TCP/IP
    AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x v2.3.1.9)
    QoS Packet Scheduler

I do not want my laptop ysing the server's internet connection, I want it to use it's own connection to the Homeportal, but I do want users to be requires to logon through the domain.

When I try to add the client to the domain, it says it can't find the domain. The domain's name is V.org. So I tried running the NetID wizard, and it tells me that it found an account for my computer on the server, and asks if I'd like to use it. I click "Yes", but then I get an error.

It says that "the domain controller for the domain V could not be contacted. Ensure the the domain name is typed correctly."

I then click "Details" and it says that "The domain name V might me a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS. If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS name, then the following information can help you...."

The actual error: "DNS name does not exist"
    error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR

Then it says that the query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp._msdcs.V

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Also, I want one of the computers to be DMZPlus, because there is no way to just turn off the firewall for a single computer....so that PC gets a public IP.

A_T

Alright, as long as neither is DMZPlus...I got it to work. I specified the client's IP address, as well as the DNS server, I set the DNS server, and the gateway to 172.16.0.1, the Homeportal. I had to have the computer connect to the "V" domain, and not "V.org".

But logging on takes about 3-5 minutes, why?
    Also, the new user has all the default XP settings. Is there any way to copy the settings and files over from the client's local user?

A_T

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    You just add your new user to a group with the settings customized the way you want them ( put the user in the administrators group etc...) Log on most likely takes so long because it is "searching" for the right domain to go into.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted