Thread: File Server Problems

File Server Problems

I have been having problems with my file server lately. It is an old gateway PIII 500MHz with 384 MB of ram running windows 98. The problem is that when I access files on it it gives me a blue screen of death on the server end and all file transfer is canceled. This problem only affects my computer accessing it. My room mate has no problems with it. I am running Windows Xp Home Sp2 and he has Windows Xp Home I don't believe that it has Sp2. This is a new problem it just started happening a week or two ago.
    The answer to all how to questions: Very carefully with a large stick.

\"Dogs f***ed the Pope. No fault of mine.\" Hunter S. Thompson

AOs Resident Troll
    Well

98 is not really server software....and 98 does alot of that kind of thing....the blue screen thing.

A reboot fixes alot of things with 98

The only way I can fix my kids 98 machine ...is reinstall...I have it partitioned so I can move the data....and reinstall the system

Works everytime
    MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    OK, here's a question for you:

Are you trying to access the same file(s) each time you connect to the 98 box? If so, have you tried to access those same files from your friends XP home box?

Perhaps there is data corruption on the hard drive of the 98 machine.

Also, I have to agree with morganlefay, I would ditch Win98 if I were you (My dislike of 32/16bit hybrid Windows should be apparent from my signature)

I would either install Fedora Linux and Samba (http://fedora.redhat.com/), or upgrade the 98 box to 2000/XP
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

Weel I'm planning on buying a opy of Windows 2000 Pro but haven't got around to it yet. I have rebooted many times and that didn't fix it. I wanted to install red hat 9 on it but the install cds are screwed up. Thanks for the advice.
    The answer to all how to questions: Very carefully with a large stick.

\"Dogs f***ed the Pope. No fault of mine.\" Hunter S. Thompson

Go with fedora core, its more up2date (obvious pun) and will save you trouble down the road when it comes to security updates. Plus its a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a copy of windows.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.