Thread: Question about case fans

Banned

Question about case fans

I recently bought a 90mm case fan that uses a 4-pin adapter and was wondering when i use a temperature monitoring software I.E. Speedfan why it will not show up. I figure because it isnt connected directly to the motherboard, but i have no more places to plug it in besides the 4-pin.
    I guess what I am trying to get at is, is there any other way to monitor/alter the speed of the fan if its not directly connected to the motherboard.

Yes. A sophisticated rheostat can.

You won't be able to determine the RPMs of the fan through the 4-pin "Molex" adapter. If you look at your CPU fan, it has a special 3 pin plug. Only these kinds of fans can have their RPMs monitored.

As for adjusting the speed of the fan, !mitationRust got it right. A rheostat / fan controller can lower the voltage being applied to the fan and make it spin slower with the reduced power. I doubt the RPMs could be monitored through the Molex plug, but I could be wrong...

A controller such as this can allow you to adjust the fan speed...but it can't tell you the fan speed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813999504

Hi Any

You have been given the correct answer.

My question is why you are asking your question Generally, additional case fans and exhaust fans are rather simple devices that are single speed and always on.

I would normally expect these additional fans to be always going full belt and the controllable fan(s) being the system and CPU ones, controlled via the motherboard.

If noise is an issue, please remember that when the system reaches the trigger temperature all fans will be going full speed and it will be noisy. The solution there is to get a "silent" case and high quality fans...................unfortunately this is an expensive solution.

My rather crude approach is that if I want to control the speed of these additional devices, why do I need them in the first place?

Just a thought

Banned
    Thank you all for the input, the reason why i wanted to control the speed of of the fan was because i had made a mistake on one of the connections, but it is all fixed now. Thanks again

If all else fails you can take yer case off the tower and hook up a box fan (one of those 5' wide things) and hook it up and use that. You can get some serious coolage with one of those things. You can also get some interesting things stuck to your motherboard though...

Originally posted here by Tim_axe
    You won't be able to determine the RPMs of the fan through the 4-pin "Molex" adapter. If you look at your CPU fan, it has a special 3 pin plug. Only these kinds of fans can have their RPMs monitored.

As for adjusting the speed of the fan, !mitationRust got it right. A rheostat / fan controller can lower the voltage being applied to the fan and make it spin slower with the reduced power. I doubt the RPMs could be monitored through the Molex plug, but I could be wrong...

A controller such as this can allow you to adjust the fan speed...but it can't tell you the fan speed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813999504
    hehe, let me know if you want any free **** from the egg like T-shits or any "I'd rather be pimpn' my PC license plate frames.....I'm good buddies with a few of the egg's sales reps. The T-shirts are gay too, they're orange. 'I've confronted the egg on price gouging before. They have great refurb stuff and specials too.........but I hate paying their tax........that's why I use zipzoomfly (google gear) with free second day shipping no tax.

That's a good question; I've never really given a damn about my RPM's only Dba.

As for the fans, I think they need what's called a tach wire or some type of sophisticated circuitry that monitors the tach pulses or something of that nature........ read up on this dank stuff here www.controlres.com This is where the telecommunications people are at and a lot of their stuff uses still air and not fans, not even their PSU's, so when they recommend a fan in a system, it's definitely needed, and when it goes out they need to know ASP!

http://www.controlres.com/alarms.htm

I've already ordered these just to try them out, I’m betting they're loud as furk but my Sunbeam rheostats will take care of those.

$2 25mm you know I'm gonna give that a try!
    http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?...=7&prevstart=0

I recommend Sunbeam because they're the workhorses of the industry when it comes to pc rheostats IMHO.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Any
    Thank you all for the input, the reason why i wanted to control the speed of of the fan was because i had made a mistake on one of the connections, but it is all fixed now. Thanks again
    It would be nice if you posted just what you did to clear your problem, that way the thread serves its [intended] purpose.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone