Motherboard(??) woes...

Thread: Motherboard(??) woes...

Motherboard(??) woes...

Ok...where to start. First I had been hearing beeps from my computer during normal operation. After current research I've discovered that these were temperature beeps. I ignored them. Finally one day my computer jus cut off on me during a linux session and hasnt came up since. Also before the complete cutoff it would freeze up on me after a while. Now as soon as i start my computer all I get is long beeps with a few seconds inbetween and this goes on till i turn off the power. I went into the case and notice my chipset fan had died. I replace it and the cpu fan jus for good measure because i was hoping it was just a heating problem but ofcourse it wasnt that simple. When I boot up now I don't recieve anything on my monitor. I can hear my harddrive spinup then the beeps start. I'm completely in the dark as to what might be wrong and don't want to waste any more money on parts that dont need to be replaced. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm,

Sorry to hear about the traumatic experience old chap. Can you tell us your precise system specifications (hardware and operating system) and your BIOS type/version.

By "chipset fan" do you mean the processor (CPU)?

Banned
    Do you have an AMD processor? I've seen some videoclip somewhere of what happens when the cooling fan of a processor is removed. Intel processors notice the increased temperature change and start slowing down before they power themselves off to cool down. The same with an AMD processor resulted in some smoke coming from the processor, which then needed to be replaced by a new one.

It could be that your processor has died on you. Or one of the other chipsets.

Ah! I see,

I really must stand aside and let our 19 year old hardware expert take the centre stage?............I am sure that she can solve the problem? If you think that I am being harsh, just read her post, then do it again, and again...........she has said absolutely nothing?............just regurgitated crap?

WTF?

Hey, I said not so long ago that "Hardware" did not need a moderator............well I have just changed my mind.

ACK Phtt!.....................time I found a new forum...................

Originally posted here by nihil

Can you tell us your precise system specifications (hardware and operating system) and your BIOS type/version.
    Obviously troubleshooting requires information and the info Nihil was requesting was critical to assess the state of your computer. One of the key parts he wanted was the BIOS type/version to determine the significance of your beeps during startup. Obviously multiple beeps codes during startup would indicate something is amiss in the box. On some, 1 long beep followed by 2 short means a Video Card problem. On another it means Dram parity failure. So when you can, post the requested info if you want help from knowledgeable folks.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Ah! I see,

I really must stand aside and let our 19 year old hardware expert take the centre stage?............I am sure that she can solve the problem? If you think that I am being harsh, just read her post, then do it again, and again...........she has said absolutely nothing?............just regurgitated crap?

WTF?

Hey, I said not so long ago that "Hardware" did not need a moderator............well I have just changed my mind.

ACK Phtt!.....................time I found a new forum...................
    lol ok...dont no what thats all about but ok....im using AK77-333 motherboard with AMD Athlon XP processor i believe. Im using award bios..dont no the version...sorry lol cant access it at the moment. As for the operating system i was dual booting XP pro and Slackware. I was on slackware when the freezing and final shutdown occur...I tried to reboot once and got a kernal panic then again and it booted ok...then thats when the shutdown happened.

o yea...and by chipset fan i mean the small fan on the motherboard that keeps your chipset cool. not the cpu fan..i replaced that one jus for good measure.

I'm not being a smart a$$,but your computer has already told you the problem. It can't talk of course but it can direct you to the problem.

1 Long 2 Short Video Card Error - Either re-seat or replace video card

Repeating beeps Memory Error - Memory is either damaged or badly seated

Repeating Hi/Low Beeps- Damaged or Overheating CPU

Hi Frequency Beeps - Overheating CPU

http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.