Thread: LAN access

LAN access

Hi

I have got a broadband connection with the lan setup in my locality. Now my friend and i wanted to play some multiplayer game using the lan but are not able to do so. Whenever i manually try to telnet to his ip it gives the error that cannot open connection on port 23. Well i've heard that something called mac-pointing can be done which is causing this thing. Can anyone tell what is this thing and is there a possible way to establish a connection using the already conected lan.

so how are the computers connected to each other..

is there a router involved ?
    What Firewall are you useing? software /hardware?
    was there software installed when the Broadband was installed? have you tried to disable that

So you tried Telnet.. what about Ping? did you do a ipconfig on your machines to be sure your still useing the same old IP? sry if it is a dumb question.. your not giving us much to start off with..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I have got a broadband connection with the lan setup in my locality.
    if by this you mean the lan is the local segment of your ISP's network then it depends on what kind of device you use to connect.

many so called 'modems' are actually routers the use NAT. if this is the case than both of your routers will need to be configured.

do an ipconfig from the command line on both of your computers. if your being assigned a 192.168.x.xx address then you need to configure port fowarding
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Well the computers have got Lan Cards and are connected with the local operator who distributes on the behalf of the ISP. I dont think that a router is involved in the process. We both are connected to the local operator using switch.

I am currently using the Black Ice firewall by the Internet Security Systems. I use Mozilla Firefox browser. On the installation of the broadband it installed only a dialer program which responds only when the connection b/w my machine and the isp is established. Elsewise if there is any problem with the distributor for his connection or my connection to him the dialer wont work.

Ping resulted in Request timed out.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Ping resulted in Request timed out.
    So you know each others IP?
    It is a fixed IP?

Certainly answer tedob's questions first please!

I assumed that you and your friend were on the same LAN segment, ie basicly in the same room/house.. is this the case?
    Your LAN cards connect to what in your room then that to what, and what.. please give us a Brand and model of the whats (except wall sockets)

BTW: 240v 50W is not a model Number
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Banned
    Did you open the ports in the firewall, is there a telnet service running?

Well my friend stays in the same locality but we are connected to the same lan for the same service provider.

Yes our IP's are fixed. Well what we have is that our computers are on the lan but are not directly connected to each other and are connected to the operator. This way we both have direct CAT5 wires going from our houses to the local switches.

I am not sure on what port is to be opened through the firewall to get access. If its 23 i assume it opens up when we connect to the internet, thats the one we get our web stuff from as websites can also be opened through telnet (Correct me if i'm wrong at this point !)

I dont know about his but i have a "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC" on my PCI slot. Well i am askin again if it has something to do with the "mac-poinnting" thing. i am not sure what it is but someone told me abt this.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Port 23 is for telnet,however if you want to telnet to your friends computer he needs to have a Telnet sever/service running or there will be nothing to connect to.

You say you have telneted to websites, if this is so, your firewall and any routers etc must already allow traffic from port 23. You seem a little unsure if it was telnet you used to browse web sites, maybe you could post how you do this just to make sure you are using telnet?

What about your friends firewall, he needs to accept traffic to port 23 too or you will be blocked everytime you try to connect to him.

You say you have static IP's so it should be simple for him to allow traffic to port 23 from your IP address, if he need help just post what firewall he has and i am sure someone will know how to do it.

Banned
    both have direct CAT5 wires going from our houses to the local switches
    I doubt that.

Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    That would be your network card.

Tell you what. Both of you set your firewalls to "allow ICMP", or "respond to ping" (whatever) depending on what firewalls you have. Then, ping each other.

Now as far as telnet goes, he needs to have he telnet service running. THis is not turned on by default. And the firewall will not allow traffic in on this port by default. You have no trouble on your end because you initiate the connection. Your firewall sees the outgoing and allows things to come back. His firewall has no outgoing connection to open the port.

Have him start his telnet service, and open the firewall for it.

Oh yeah, just so you know, telnet.exe is not the telnet service.

My guess is that your problem is that your friend is not running a Telnet Server, so you can't connect.
    Then check your firewall, and your friends firewall as well(it could be blocking Telnet service).

I have heard that certain ISP Operators block ports, could your ISP not allowing telnet going trought there services?

to check if telnet is really working, you could telnet to a mail server, to port 25 and check if the server answers.