Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo IM users get more than they bargained for

Yahoo IM users get more than they bargained for

YIM now comes with its own adware !

If you're one of the tens of millions of Yahoo users asked to upgrade your instant-messaging software this week, be on your toes: The update can open the door to unwanted PC houseguests--and setting changes--by default.
    http://news.com.com/Yahoo+IM+users+m...3-5845886.html
    Published: September 1, 2005, 6:30 PM PDT
    By Stefanie Olsen

/edit : typo

Banned
    I like Yahoo messenger but I haven't used it for several weeks now, since I'm using gaim instead. Gaim has an advantage that it can be used with different other protocols too. Of course, it is also open-source so I can learn from the code. <edit>Yahoo adding questionable features to their messenger version is just another reason to start using open-source software a bit more.</edit>

last week at work i noticed one of the adds at the bottom of msm was one of those 'save money' coupon sites thats notorious for installing adware. this tells people who dont know any better that this site and everything it has to offer is safe.

not quite as bad as installing it first hand but pretty dam close.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

last week at work i noticed one of the adds at the bottom of msm was one of those 'save money' coupon sites thats notorious for installing adware. this tells people who dont know any better that this site and everything it has to offer is safe.

not quite as bad as installing it first hand but pretty dam close.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Good thing I don't use the YIM client.

I use trillian which puts all my messangers together and trillian is great. Fast and easy to use and saves space on my PC instead of having seperate messangers..

Aven

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Bumping Thread
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You will also notice that Adobe Reader upgrades now force you to add the Yahoo search bar. I saw that earlier this week and canceled the install.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by Aven
    Good thing I don't use the YIM client.

I use trillian which puts all my messangers together and trillian is great. Fast and easy to use and saves space on my PC instead of having seperate messangers..

Aven
    Problem with Trillian is that since version 3.0, although they have made some major upgrades and improvements, there are a couple of big things with it that have not been addressed for some stupid reason.

1) MSN Contact list names not updating properly.
    2) Major slowdowns in code since their last version. Somewhat slow to use sometimes, even on a fast computer.

These two things right here were enough to make me give GAIM a chance and I was highly impressed and am now considering switching.

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Trillian has also busted up the way they handle IRC connections. For instance, if you try to save simple commands to each IRC server you join (such as /join #lobby) they never save. You have to manually enter this via the status window each time you connect. I'm currently looking at some alternatives.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by thehorse13
    I'm currently looking at some alternatives.
    What are you considering? I am interested in shopping around a bit more before I make the big switch (if I do.)
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard