Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo IM users get more than they bargained for

My IM system of choice:

screen + irssi + bitlbee

http://www.bitlbee.org/
    So what does it do?

Just install the program and connect to the BitlBee server with your favourite IRC-client. You will be force-joined into the control channel where root (the bot, your assistant, the bee) will try to help you to get the program working.

As soon as you got your accounts working, you can add users to your contact list and talk to them, just like you normally do on IRC. Open a query, talk to the person in the channel, or even open a group conversation. (But remember IRC is the only true conversation protocol! ;-)
    Also check out the screenshots
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Well there are some genuine concerns that the new version of Yahoo Messenger could open the gates for adware into PCs... which will have to be patched later on.

But one more thing is to be noticed they are offering too much for free.. and why on earth they dont have the right to arrange to pay all their engineers .. who are working day and night for the greater benefit of chatting freaks all across the globe.

Free and open source code software is good for general public, but it does not promote competition and hence big leap advancements in technology... Free and open source code will remain a darling for hobbyists and experimentalists but of course not for enterpreneurs who want a return on their effort and investment..

Why yahoo doesnt have the right to change the default home page settings and offering you a search option on every selected text on your web pages on Yahoo's Search Engine...when they are going to offer you free PC Phone service, photo sharing, video conferencing and much much more....Do open source code IMs have all these features.... combined with huge 1GB inbox space to cater to your email needs....the answer is a big NO. well there are very likely the chances that some vulnerabilities may be found in proprietary software products... which may be patched only by the software developer company. Such a situation could arise here too.

ITS JUST A COMPETITION.. to capture the market share and promote healthy development in software business.

Experienced folks on this forum may be having there reservations but I am only giving my opinion.

If you people can count on the popularity of Yahoo services in South Asian Region... definitely they are the leaders for the meantime here as far as IM arena goes..

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    offering too much for free
    That's the point exactly, it's not free. The payment is in terms of harvested information that Yahoo can then sell on. It's the same marketing strategy as all of the 'free' software vendors that come supplied with adware.

I know that there is some genuine freeware out there, written as projects or as a hobby and other products which are loss leaders to attract business (Adaware, AVG) but they are in the minority.

Some peoples common sense goes out the window when they sit down at a PC.

Why yahoo doesnt have the right to change the default home page settings and offering you a search option on every selected text on your web pages on Yahoo's Search Engine...when they are going to offer you free PC Phone service, photo sharing, video conferencing and much much more....Do open source code IMs have all these features.... combined with huge 1GB inbox space to cater to your email needs....the answer is a big NO. well there are very likely the chances that some vulnerabilities may be found in proprietary software products... which may be patched only by the software developer company. Such a situation could arise here too.
    A) Nope most IM's dont since they are not IM features..
    B) Google and MSN do have (most) of those features..
    C) Some opensource clients (like the experimental AMSN branch) also have video chat.

I realy don't care about the chat carrier (MSN, AIM, ICQ (Yahoo = 99% ICQ compatible), Jabber, IRC) as long as the client does what it is supposed to do and nothing more..

I hate the Microsoft MSN client with lame adds and that popup at the start with a timeout.
    Same counts for ICQ and AIM.
    But that is not half as bad as installing stuff all over the place (there is an expert mode to YIM that won't do that I'd hope (I'm not even going to reboot to win for this))..

hate the Microsoft MSN client with lame adds and that popup at the start with a timeout.
    Same counts for ICQ and AIM.
    But that is not half as bad as installing stuff all over the place (there is an expert mode to YIM that won't do that I'd hope (I'm not even going to reboot to win for this))
    Well... ads are something which may be a concern.. but they have to do it.... to make up for their revenues...

They put various stuff all around the system only for a purpose .... of course if so many features are to be bundled together with the IM then the system has to be fine tuned at various places.. Thank god the installers do it automatically....

The Horse -- If you visit the Adobe website you can *download* a version of reader without the Yahoo! toolbar. I'd imagine that version doesn't *need* Yahoo! toolbar but you never know -- it may just be a required seperate download...

the_JinX -- Get rid of that "MSN Today" junk in Tools->Options->General-> Uncheck show MSN Today...

Also I agree that it really only needs to do nothing else beyond what is necessary. A lot of what is added now is not necessary...come one, sharing backgrounds and having invasive advertising "theme packs?" That is NOT necessary at all and completely ticked me off when I accidentally clicked on the bottom of an MSN chat window to set focus on it and that cr@p came up without warning.

I'm glad I never adopted YIM to have to deal with this nasty suprise.

I really do not like software that makes quiet changes to the system -- I've already spent too much time figuring out what I need to disable after my system boots slower with each install of things like OpenOffice.org, Wireless card drivers, etc. It should be explicitly verbose and let me decide what to do with it before it becomes a problem.

But then again we're probably the few X% of users who understand our systems and would opt for the settings to configure ourselves for our ISP instead of those "set-up disks" that have a bunch of other crap...

I sure hope other IM services do not adopt what Yahoo! has done here. They'd lose me as a user & advertising audience "number."

Thx for that pointer, Tim_axe.. My wife just doesn't seem to like AMSN as much as the Microsoft client.. Will look into the options a bit more if I ever see such a popup..

Originally posted here by gauravjulka
    Well... ads are something which may be a concern.. but they have to do it.... to make up for their revenues...
    Bullshit, AOL, Microsoft and Yahoo don't need adds in their IM to make money.. They have loads of other products that make them their big bucks..
    The only reason those adds are still in their IM crap is that either the users are to clueless or careless to worry about those adds..

They put various stuff all around the system only for a purpose .... of course if so many features are to be bundled together with the IM then the system has to be fine tuned at various places.. Thank god the installers do it automatically....
    Even more bullshit.. Hell it could be in one executable and do atleast as well as a 'scattered' system.. An IM with video or voice chat does not have to finetune your OS to be able to work.. The only reason they install stuff in other places is to make it 'easier' for you to use their other services instead of someone else's simmilar services..
    Those IM's make it easier for you to use MSN or Yahoo instead of Google..

JinX... First read the original pointer carefully and then come to my point ...

http://news.com.com/ Yahoo+IM+users..._3-5845886.html

This is the original pointer which has started this thread.... hope it will enlighten u somewhat what the real matter is..... now to think about how to please ur wife..

Anywayz.... I have got all my pal circle via Yahoo...

Have u connected urself to Yahoo 360 yet... Perhaps this is the most powerful connexions system operational today...

Well google and Yahoo seem to be going head on head with their own services roll outs...Google Talk has been developed to compete with existing IMs.

But whatever the reason... I have been using Yahoo's latest offering for more than one month now and havent experienced any problem yet. No spyware or adware whatever have crept into my box as of now. .. This may also because I keep my box rock tight secure..

Breach of security may also be caused by ur personal negligence and why then do u curse philanthropic ideas..... That is not honest on ur part Jinx..

Making money may always be not philanthropist .... but making money out of a genuine reason and for a genine cause definitly is!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    This is the original pointer which has started this thread.... hope it will enlighten u somewhat what the real matter is..... now to think about how to please ur wife..
    It is beyond obvious that you are talking out of your ass. Do us all a favor and head over to this site with the rest of the dummies.

http://www.hack0rs.com
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

[quote]Experienced folks on this forum may be having there reservations but I am only giving my opinion. [\quote]

Probably this is one of the verry rare occasions that somebody quoting his own text.... well I knew before hand that this opinion is going to spark a lot of annoyance...

Well Horse... I had real regards for the learned people like u on the forum

I was never expecting such response from the big wig of this forum...

Anywayz watch out for the link

http://news.com.com/Yahoo+IM+users+g...3-5845886.html