P4ge-mx

Thread: P4ge-mx

P4ge-mx

hello guys I have this problem. I have a mobo P4GE-MX having a built- in video card, sound card, lan card.

the problem regarding this computer is this when you open the pc itself after win 98 logo it hangs for a while then it shuts off by itself without pushing the power off button.
    I decided to enter into safe mode, it has no problem at all. I suspected a corrupted vga driver so I decided to uninstall the drivers of the video card. I restarted it its seem to be fine no problem at all I entered windows 98 without any problem.

After this I decided to download the latest drivers in the Asus website. So I installed the latest driver of this video card. After installing, i restarted it. An error came up windows protection error I reseated the memory and erase the pins of the memory using a eraser and it works again. No more windows protection error.!!!

However, the same problem is there I cant enter windows it shuts off by itself after win 98 logo. I tried to enter in safemode again and uninstall the driver after this I entered without any problem but my video card is not working properly due to no drivers installed.

I tried to insert a new video card (i just borrowed this video card from my friend) same problem what might be problem guys.
    1. wil i try to buy a new video card. to see if the result will be ok
    2. or my motherboard is defective. (how can i say that my mobo is defective?)

post pls. guys I need your help badly....

Banned

Re: P4ge-mx

Try a different HDD real quick, then you can rule out the OS. To be perfectly honest you could try every hardware trick in the book, but if the OS is garbage, all effort applied will be in vain.

ok Ill try a different HD.....

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I highly doubt this is an actualy hardware problem seeing as how you get to the 98 splash screen... which means while loading up the OS and drivers, something is going wrong... I'm willing to bet it is either an OS or driver problem...

!mitationRust, can you explain to me how a different HDD would help in this scenerio? I don't think that would really help seeing as how the new HDD wouldn't have the correct mobo and video card drivers anyway... Or are you saying just try a differen't HDD and load the OS and drivers and see if it was a problem with the actual hard drive??
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Banned
    I know you duck, who you kidding here? ta ta.... eyes are everywhere.... literally

You're still fighting the keep it simple method? What if it's malicious code jacking up his comp? If he uses a different, "good" HDD and goes in no problem.............he knows right there it's not the hardware........................................Why am I explaining this to you?

It's almost as if you asked the question. Hmmmmmm

People who fix pcs for a living don't always have all the answers and have to ask on here...lol

The problem could be may things..

From a device driver, like the video you have suspected..
    a virtual device driver.. like Norton **crap** antivirus
    A PSU fault..yes it is possable, and does happen
    A bad sector on the HDD,, Dunno about the shutdown though in win98

from the story given.. disable your antivirus actually uninstall it, and disable ALL startup progs..
    then we start with installing the Video drivers again..
    Check the results
    Then re-enable your start up programs ..ONE AT A TIME.. enable.. restart kepp going untill something breaks.. and you have your cause.
    If you have no Cause.. re install the AntiVirus.. But please NOT NORTON..not on Win98.. Pc-Cillin, McAfee, AVG.. any of these but Please for your sanity NOT NORTON with WIN98
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

ok guys I installed a new HD and a fresh install of a OS win98. After this installation I quickly installed the vga drivers it works fine. I think its a driver conflict or a OS conflict w/ the driver. How would i be able to diagnose this pc using the old HD. needs some advice..

Im using AVG as my antivirus, how could this program give a cuse of the problem.....

I havent had AVG cause this sort of problem.. (Norton, McAfee Yes)

but it could if one of the Virtual device drivers that the program relies upon become corrupted..

to check the HDD You need a prog to do a scan of the media of the HDD.. I use HDD regenerator.. as well as any of the SMART decoder progs .. to give you the SMART information from the drive.. these tools are usually free from the HDD manufacturer is Seatool.. from seagate

For the real solution to the problem with that HDD, your best to swap back the HDD and follow the information I gave in my previous post..
    It could eassily be just corrupted file on the HDD.. the FAT32 file system is know for that problem..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi Jin~

Good advice above. You might install the questionable drive as a slave?...........run diagnostics from the HDD manufacturer and see if there are problems. Also run scandisk from Win98, but do NOT check the automatic fix box.............you will need to write down any error diagnostic messages

If you have done a fresh install of Win98 and it is working, you may well have defined the problem already.....................it is some sort of software corruption. You need to check the old drive to make sure that this is not hardware related (Win98? it must be rather old?).

As I said I would try the old drive as a slave first, if it is on the way out you will need it like that to save the data files anyway?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I know you duck, who you kidding here? ta ta.... eyes are everywhere.... literally

You're still fighting the keep it simple method? What if it's malicious code jacking up his comp? If he uses a different, "good" HDD and goes in no problem.............he knows right there it's not the hardware........................................Why am I explaining this to you?

It's almost as if you asked the question. Hmmmmmm

People who fix pcs for a living don't always have all the answers and have to ask on here...lol
    I'm not fighting for the simple method, I was just asking a question and trying to view the problem from your troubleshooting perspective...

However we all kind of new it was a software problem which is why I was wondering about the HDD switch... I agree with what Und3ertak3r said, bad sector or file on the HDD...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools