Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What firewall would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by ngboot
    Can I borrow this thread, sir? To save postage.... and to further expound upon this inquiry. I'll be commandeering this thread so what I ask now, is assistance. I am presenting the same question. Only I wish to install a corporate level firewall, on a mock- online game network. Pure generics. None the less, this trial is project status.. so I need to know the best firewall one would recommend for a Linux server hosting an online game. Is it really IPtables..?
    To follow up with SirDice's post... I would avoid having anything except the game software and necessary system components on the server. Any added components are going to make it more exploitable. Checkpoint and PIX both have excellent filtering capabilities, and are highly configurable and scalable. Although, they are very expensive. If you cannot afford a solution like that, my advice would be to set up a dedicated gateway using Linux and IPTables.

EDIT: Snort maybe? Some IDS functionality?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

In the corporate environment I recommend a Cisco ASA, a NetScreen, or Checkpoint on Nokia. I would never ever ever run any software firewall on a windows platform in a corporate environment.

For our generic project we're gonna use one of the 500 series Cisco pix models.

As SireDice said, if you want corporate level, your going to be going with Cisco Pix, Checkpoint, sonicwall, Juniper...etc etc.

IPtables would be effective...another alternative would be one I use on my linux servers that I also do some game hosting on. That would be.

APF
    http://rfxnetworks.com/apf.php

APF basically lets you till it what ports you want open, and it closes the rest. Simple yet effective. It also lets you specify ports before you start the service which is nice. Especially if you configure the servers remotely like I do. Lets you not lock yourself out

**EDIT**

Bah..didn't see the second page.

I've worked with the Pix 535 before. Good firewall.
    Last edited by cheyenne1212; October 13th, 2007 at 12:08 AM.
    =

Well, I have never been in a corporate office till now (save those where I am a CUSTOMER!) but still, I would ask a question:

Some of the experts I see here do rely on Hardware firewalls more than the software firewalls on ANY Operating System. That might be true. But does't that mean that they are not upgradable?
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Doesn't that mean that the hardware firewalls aren't upgradeable?

Depends.

Usually the way the hardware firewalls work, is you buy the appliance itself, along with a certain feature set which you must purchase the license for. Generally, you can buy another license to unlock features on your appliance which may have been previously unavailable to you.
    =

How about pfSense or M0n0wall on a net45xx/net48xx/net55xx/WRAP,
    it's a good alternative if you like a firewall for reasonable amount of money.

http://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm
    http://www.pfsense.org/
    http://m0n0.ch/wall/

XP - comodo firewall, mate passed the GRC leak test and various other tests, still cant trust software firewalls in my opinion but its the best one for XP iv found

These questions still popping up...

Define the need (and what services you are willing/need to put on the line - can't hide every thing), make the type selection based on what will support those needs, and of course what you can afford. Its only one part of a layered defense, yadi, yadi, yadi

None of it means squat if everything is not configured appropriately and updated...

"...passed the GRC leak test...." Don't think I'd base a security eval on the snake oil salesman....lol. Even my bearded dragon is ROTFLHAO.

“I use @#$&^ Firewall – it's a gud 'n and it ain't ever let me down.”

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I use the best Comodo firewall, it is the award winning personal firewall software on Internet..
    Visit: http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/