Thread: DDOS on FFXI

DDOS on FFXI

Just a n00b question.
    I play a lot of online games, at the moment FFXI, for a while now they have had a lot of DDOS attacks. Is there a way to stop something like that or is it impossible for a server that must be online 24/7?

Thanks just curious

THey'd have to pay for some hard-ware etc...not really cheap..i found this on a quick google search

http://www.block-ddos.com/index.php

nothing you can do on your end though....and if it's a free server i dont think they'd have the money to py for a protection service.....

And i have a question too. How come firewalls(software) don't stop dos attacks ? or do they ? I don't really know much about denial of service attacks....
    O.G at A.O

Copyright: DoS attacks are just what the name implies.. Denial of Service. It's all about sending mass amounts of data (or packets, usually request packets) that flood the specific service until it just crashes and no longer takes requests (including legit ones). Firewall's can only help if the administrator notices a pattern of requests from an IP early on and then block that IP.
    Space For Rent.. =]

So there is no way to stop it happening.
    It is Square-Enix main servers and I would think they have the money for a hardware solution.
    I guess that I would have to be stuck with the down time.

If it's someone else's servers, contact the server administrators and let them know about some hardware (or software if they don't already have them) firewall's. Also alert them about staying on top of those logfiles aswell..
    Space For Rent.. =]

thank you all for the repsonce : )

I play ffxi also, as for the DDoS attempts that happen towards their servers... There is nothing that you can do about it... It is is something that square soft has to take care of...

Now, the honest answer... Square soft is quick to push something off as a DDoS attempt or DDoS attack... When they had the big update a couple of weeks ago... No one could get on the servers... It was a DDoS, but not in the sense that you think... It was their servers in-ability to handle the requests....

I could go into more detail, but I am not really arsed to go down the line.