Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2k LAN Problems

Banned

Windows 2k LAN Problems

Problem: Windows 2000 has not created a LAN connection automatically as it claims it should.

Pre-stuff... (need a better descriptor ^_^):
    Windows 2000 has been installed on a clean box. Windows 2000 detects my ethernet card. Drivers have been installed.

Solution: ? Help >.<

Any help would be really appreciated. It'd be nice if you could actually create a LAN connection but M$ in their "infinite" wisdom decided that wasn't necessary... The choices they provide are as listed (for me)
    Dial-up to private network
    Dial-up to the internet
    Connect to private network through the internet (VPN)
    Accept incoming connections
    Connect directly to another computer

Problem: Windows 2000 has not created a LAN connection automatically as it claims it should.
    Hi sb_, please check cable(s) is/are properly connected to your computer, other computer, router or what so ever. This may not be the definite solution but may be it can work.

Cheers
    - :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

:Singh:,

Although your suggestion may remedy a Local Area Connection that is not responding (i.e. disconnected), SB's problem is that he does not *have* a Local Area Connection to begin with...

This is most likely a problem w/ the NIC - either it was improperly installed or configured... Check in Device Manager and see if there isn't a little "!" next to your ethernet card... If there is, go to the NIC manufacturers site and d/l the latest drivers, and reinstall the NIC... If there isn't... well... then I'm stumped...

Let us know, SB...

-wiski
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Banned
    Yeah, everything is plugged in correctly.

Although your suggestion may remedy a Local Area Connection that is not responding (i.e. disconnected), SB's problem is that he does not *have* a Local Area Connection to begin with...

This is most likely a problem w/ the NIC - either it was improperly installed or configured... Check in Device Manager and see if there isn't a little "!" next to your ethernet card... If there is, go to the NIC manufacturers site and d/l the latest drivers, and reinstall the NIC... If there isn't... well... then I'm stumped...
    There was no "!" but I updated the driver just in case and that didn't help at all. The drivers have been uninstalled and installed multiple times (so I'm quite sure that won't help ^_^). Thank you much though wiskic. Other suggestions etc?

Go to network connections, see if the connection is enabled, if not try enableing it, if that doesn't work, right click your ethernet connection, choose properties, right click TCP/IP, then choose properties, see whats checked, either get ip automatically or use static.
    I'm assuming your on a DHCP network if not you'll have to enter the information manually (ip, subnet, gateway and dns).

Re: Windows 2k LAN Problems

Originally posted here by sb_
    It'd be nice if you could actually create a LAN connection but M$ in their "infinite" wisdom decided that wasn't necessary... The choices they provide are as listed (for me)
    I wasn't quite sure what you meant but look at:

Wizard Driven Connection

Manually Set Connection

I hope that was helpful. I could be more helpful, but I'm in Linux at the moment. Those are the best pages I could find quickly.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=789\"A dark angel of sin, preying deep from within...\" - Rob Halford

Banned
    Go to network connections, see if the connection is enabled, if not try enableing it, if that doesn't work, right click your ethernet connection, choose properties, right click TCP/IP, then choose properties, see whats checked, either get ip automatically or use static.
    I'm assuming your on a DHCP network if not you'll have to enter the information manually (ip, subnet, gateway and dns).
    That is the point... there is no connection. I can fix it or set it up if there was one to act upon. Thanks for taking the time though.

Seek&Destroy, the first link looks like a good hit! Thanks a bunch!

Im just guessing here... is your NIC onBoard?

I had a lot of problems with NIC's onBoard... they just didint' worked properly.

maybe you should try a diferent NIC, just to make sure that the problem is not in your operative system

Banned
    Well the link that looked good didn't work (but it looked good)... It is not onboard.

OK, just to clear things up.
    Do we believe, we are good to go, on the hardware side?
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=789\"A dark angel of sin, preying deep from within...\" - Rob Halford