Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnets + Monitor = Any Hope?

Magnets + Monitor = Any Hope?

Well, I'm a dumbass and got magnets too close to my monitor. It now has spots. Deguassing doesn't seem to be fixing anything. Any ideas? Will leaving it off overnight or anything help, or is it permanently screwed?
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Sorry to bear bad tidings but if the magnets were powerful enough to permanently realign the screen to the point where degauss doesn't help, it's time to buy a new monitor.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Hmm... I seemed to have fixed it... If not completely, enough to make it not bother me... I used the magnets that did it in the first place, and waved them quickly around. Got rid of the majority of it... I feel dumb now...
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ah, rescrambling! The luck gods have indeed smiled upon you today. Congrats. One thing to watch for over the next day or so - the spots might reappear, they might not. Keep your eyes open for it and if they do, you know the cause.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Yeah, the spots are still there, I think I probably damaged the shadowmask, but the waving magnet thing got rid of most of it. so it's only really noticeable if you look for it.

I actually have the same problem, apparantly my monitor got too close to my speakers and the bottom corning is greenish (as oppose to the blue scrollbar on the AO website) and thanks to my handy dell monitor I don't have a degauss..so no fixing. But doesn't bother too much.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hi The Grunt

As |3lack|ce says, if the magnets were powerful enough you may have screwed the screen. However you might be lucky. I would turn it off overnight and ground the screen.

Weird artefacts used to be a problem with some TVs and game boxes, and that solved the problem

Isn't there a device that you can use to degauss monitors and tv's?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Heh, reminds me back in my immature days... I used to run around the library with a magnet and wave it around the monitors in the library lol... They never found out it was me either... this must have been 3 years ago...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

I've placed two 12" subs beside my monitor before and played the music loud for at least a few hours. When I tried using the monitor the left side was purple........I thought it was trashed too, but the next day it went away.

But you waving the magnet across it ......hmmmmmmmmm

I know you can magnetize and demagnetize metal objects (screwdrivers) by dragging an object in a given direction then dragging it in the opposite direction to demagnetized it.... vice versa