Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming language for a total beginner

Banned
    I wrote an attempt for a tutorial called "Learning to program?" which some seemed to like, but it needs a bit cleaning up. (Which is why I posted it there, not as a tutorial.) Too bad that thread committed suicide.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by dinowuff
    Integrated Device Electronics WTF does an IDE have to do with programing?
    The IDE she was refering to is Integrated Development Environment.

I think the cost is worth it for VC++ (6.0) or VS .NET. And anyway, you can always get student discounts on your software.

A pretty good free editor is Notepad++

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Ah Shoot. too many TLA's now days.

Noia said it best.
    understand the concepts of programing
    More and more I see applicants that either got their degree/training from the back of a match book cover, or just learned how to pass a test.

I am in no way a developer. Give me a blank screen and an idea... Not going to happen. Give me frame work and existing code, I can fix what's broken or add-on.

My point here is learn how to program. Not how to program with some utility/package.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Originally posted here by dinowuff
    Ah Shoot. too many TLA's now days.

Noia said it best.

More and more I see applicants that either got their degree/training from the back of a match book cover, or just learned how to pass a test.

I am in no way a developer. Give me a blank screen and an idea... Not going to happen. Give me frame work and existing code, I can fix what's broken or add-on.

My point here is learn how to program. Not how to program with some utility/package.
    I think that's exactly right. I started programming a little more than three years ago (still learning, btw), and I remember how difficult it was to *really know* how to go about solving a problem. The language was the easy part. It wasn't until maybe about a year ago that the "I know how to solve the problem with code" part really kicked in. The syntax is easy, knowing how to use the operators, the logic, the objects, the methods / functions...is easy. But to be given a problem and know how to best *use* the code to solve the problem / complete the task...is the hard part.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

In my opinion, I would start with Python or Pascal first, then quickly move to C or C++.
    You have no real need to master Python or Pascal.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=789\"A dark angel of sin, preying deep from within...\" - Rob Halford

Honestly, everyone you ask is going to have a different opinion about which language is the best to start with. Just do a search of the forums and you'll find a hundred threads just like this one.

I'll give a more general answer: I think any object-oriented language would be a good language to begin with (C++, C#, VB .NET, Java).

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Ninja Code Monkey
    Pick a language that has something to do with the area of development you are interested in. Do you want it for system administration? Quick tasks? Web application development? Game development?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

KIX Scripts

Seriously though, one of the major reasons why people dont take up programing (or atleast what I have seen) is that is seems too hard and you dont get "results" fast enough, this is generaly disheartening for people and they get into thinking "I cant do this" "its too hard" "I suck" "I should vote G. Bush" or some variation on that. This is exactly why I suggested PHP, maybe even Perl, both are simple and easy to get into, offer rapid results and can be quite powerful when put to good use. That said, I would not stick around PHP and Perl for too long, an OO language is going to be better in the long run.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Banned
    Originally posted here by Seek&Destroy
    In my opinion, I would start with Python or Pascal first, then quickly move to C or C++.
    You have no real need to master Python or Pascal.
    Pascal is a pretty good choice in my opinion. Of course, I'm biased here but Pascal is pretty structural and has a very strict syntax. FreePascal is a good compiler if you don't want to to but the commercial Delphi Pascal compiler. (Delphi is pretty expensive, if you want the professional version, but like many commercial products you might .)

Unfortunately, Pascal is real good for learning to program (It's the first language I've learned), but it isn't real popular (so I heard) in many businesses. There aren't that many companies that use Pascal for their applications. After the first Visual Studio.NET version became available, Borland Delphi lost a bit of it's market share because people wanted to move over to the new .NET environment which wasn't supported by Delphi.

But just pick whatever language that you have already available. Try it out and if you don't like it, pick another one.

Learning to program isn't easy. It takes time. Don't expect to be an expert within a year if you have zero experience from the start... (And be prepared to deal with many small frustrations because you just can't discover why your code doesn't work... )