Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want your opinion how Microsoft could destroy the Internet

Unhappy I want your opinion how Microsoft could destroy the Internet

I am going to write an article for my website about the threat of Microsoft's email products to national security. In it, Microsoft releases the source code and hackers, spammers and anyone else takes the offensive finding flaws in sending viruses eventually cracking Microsoft's domain on the Internet. Could I have you opinion about it.

Could you specifiy what you mean by "destroy the Internet"? As in totally disable the Internet? I actually brought up this question a looooong time ago, and I believe the only way to pull that off would be to take down the "backbone", which, if memory serves correct, consists of four backbone systems located in different geographic locations. I believe it was four, may be more, memory's very foggy (been at least a year since I posted that thread). That is an insanely unlikely scenario though (but cool to ponder ).

Microsoft has already been vunerable...the latest was the Zotob worm.

And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Microsoft has it's own staff of virus and worm developers covertly trying to sabatoge Mac and Linux and visa versa...or is that too conspiracy minded

I am going to write an article for my website about the threat of Microsoft's email products to national security.
    Is it a "Tech Humor" site? You post an article like that and you will be laughed off the Internet. Could it cause a temporary slow down to some government organizations? Absolutely, however nothing that is related to national security. You might want to do some more research first.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I am going to write an article for my website about the threat of Microsoft's email products to national security. In it, Microsoft releases the source code and hackers, spammers and anyone else takes the offensive finding flaws in sending viruses eventually cracking Microsoft's domain on the Internet. Could I have you opinion about it.

Could you please explain your point better? I'd rather see your point of view first .

In it, Microsoft releases the source code and hackers, spammers and anyone else takes the offensive finding flaws in sending viruses eventually cracking Microsoft's domain on the Internet. Could I have you opinion about it.
    Certainly, rubbish

Very few, if any vulnerabilities are a result of coding. They are inevitably a result of functionality and design. I would sooner look at the requirements specification and design specification rather than masses of M$ source code

Also, mailing systems per se do not have vulnerabilities. The actual vulnerabilities lie in the operating system at the other end, and user stupidity and/or ignorance.

I would criticise the automatic preview feature in Outlook Express, but you certainly did not need the source code to work that out; it was a blatant design/functionality flaw.

By "domain" I presume you mean domination?.....................Microsoft do not "dominate the internet"................they dominate the PC operating system and office applications markets.............a very different issue.

Hey 99% of malware is written to be MS focussed or compatible and it has not harmed them yet?

Even as entertaining fiction, I feel that you are flogging a dead horse

How to destroy the Internet:

Learn how the root servers work and the powers that be funding them.

http://www.circleid.com/article/1153_0_1_0_C/

P.S. Individual O.S. would not be a factor
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

********** |ceWriterguy
    How can Microsoft destroy the internet? I'm not really sure - but they made a hell of a dent with their partnerships in E-Machines and WebTeevee (now called Microsoft Teevee)...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Banned
    Very few, if any vulnerabilities are a result of coding. They are inevitably a result of functionality and design.
    Are you _trying_ to piss of the open source community? Remember, all the problems of the world can be resolved by peer code review. Duh! *put penguin suit away*

cheers,

catch

What's your point... M$ already destroyed the internet. Internet Exploder is evidence of that. Sheesh.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson