I swear I'm gonna dynamite this box...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I swear I'm gonna dynamite this box...

********** |ceWriterguy

Angry I swear I'm gonna dynamite this box...

Ok, here we go with pertinent data:

AMD Duron, 1/2 gig of ram, 40gig maxtor hdd, ASUS Mobo, Nvidia Gforce 5200 xfx, Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24bit.

FRESH lowlevel format, FRESH winXP install, updated as far as it would go. That's it. That's all that's on the bloody machine. She's a virgin.

Now the problems - someone help me a bit here please?

XP detects the Lexmark Z22 printer on lpt1 but keeps telling me the driver data is invalid. It does this every time I reboot the machine.

XP does NOT detect the sound card, but detects a 'Media Controller Device'. When I try to install with the CD it runs through like a good install, but the sound card doesn't work. When I try to go through device manager and do the install manually it tells me the driver data is invalid (I'm trying the drivers from the CD.) I went to Creative's site and grabbed the updated driver pack from them, downloaded it, ran it, and it looked like a good install, yet there's still no sound and Winblows still doesn't recognize the card for what it is.

I'm ready to dynamite the freaking box - I'm scheduled graveyard shift tonight and have been up all day doing the reinstall. **ROAR**

Any suggestions?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

LOL, I would go into my BIOS and disable the onboard sound AKA Media Controller Device, that should sort the sound card problem out.

OR

Its strange for the printer AND sound card not to be working straight after a fresh install and with updated drivers, maybe there is a driver or maybe but prob not an IRQ conflict with the two of them. Have you tried uninstalling one and seeing if the other works?

Check your system info for problem devices and conflicts/sharing - this usually sheads more light on the problem than device manager.

Hope it helped!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

********** |ceWriterguy
    Went into Bios and verified I'd disabled the onboard sound device, then attempted reinstall. The problem still exists. Any other suggestions?

No IRQ conflicts exist in my system - checked.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi l3lacklce,

This may or may not help you but it's the best I could find...

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1108586649
    Annoyances.org - re: XP does not recognize my sound card (Windows XP Discussion Forum)

Eg

Are you using the Lexmark driver or the XP one?

I have come across XP not liking "unregistered drivers" or whatever. I seem to recall having to take an "ignore and proceed" option?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    no sound output ??

do you have output plugs on the front as well as the back ??

if you have the front ones installed, then the back ones don't work
    have you tried letting an online driver den give you a scan to see what they reckon is out dated ?

I use driverhq,com
    I know you can find drivers for free, but sometimes you just don't get the time, and I do repair quite a few PC's nowadays, so it's just convenient for me :lazy ass mo/fo:
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

OK, well atleast the most simple solution has been tried. What does your device manager say? And under problem devices in sys info does it say anything there?

There seems to be a problem installing drivers on your box, have you managed to install any at all? I take it you have installed all the drivers for your Mother Board?
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

********** |ceWriterguy
    Are you using the Lexmark driver or the XP one?
    XP one - it's worked every time I've redone XP on it in the past. In fact, it's worked so well that the Lexmark CD was file 13'd a year and a half ago when I moved.

do you have output plugs on the front as well as the back ??
    back only.

What does your device manager say?
    The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

On attempts to reinstall the driver it gets to ksuser.dll in the install and tells me the data is invalid.

On attempts to install drivers from the CD (this one's new - just happened) - software installs ok, everything looks good, but for some reason XP isn't associating it with the card, so the problem's still there.

DriverHQ == Spyware/trojan/adware heaven. Beware them.

Yes, mobo drivers are in and running. This is what caused the probs with the printer install last time I did XP reinstall, so I was sure to hit it right this time. Kinda strange what worked once didn't work again eh?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    How 'fresh' is a fresh install ??

if your CD is getting on a bit, then it may have some corruption in it ???

[edit]
    DriverHQ == Spyware/trojan/adware heaven. Beware them.
    with the amount of security S/W I've got running I'm suprised when ANYTHING gets through
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

********** |ceWriterguy
    Fresh install - CD is still new appearing and clean, did the reinstall with low level format this morning around 11ish, completed by 2 with no problems.

I'm seriously beginning to question the integrity of my Mobo though... I'll look further into that later on if we don't get this resolved by software fixes.

[edit]Since starting this thread I've installed FireFox and ThunderBird - just thought y'all would like to know even if it has no pertinence. MSIE just makes me sick and I REFUSE to use Outlook or express.[/edit]