Ontario could soon allow the use of shariah law
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ontario could soon allow the use of shariah law

Ontario could soon allow the use of shariah law

Hey Hey,

I know that a lot of you tend to think that I hate the US and only attack the US government... that's not true... it's just that they give me more reasons than most of the other governments that I pay attention to...

Here's something from my own government that's got me thinking about heading out of province or possibly to Europe.... (I just realized that now that I'm a graduate, I'm free to go pretty much anywhere I want... )

Anyways... on with the ridiculous news

Source: http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/London...08530-sun.html
    Angry demonstrators likened the premier of Ontario to Afghanistan's extremist Taliban leaders yesterday as they urged Dalton McGuinty to dismiss the idea of allowing the use of shariah law to settle family disputes.

About 300 people gathered outside the Ontario legislature for a protest billed as a global campaign to discourage the province from becoming the first Western jurisdiction to permit the use of religious rules critics consider an affront to human rights.
    Further searching lead me to this...

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...nal/TopStories
    Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory acknowledged that the government is grappling with a difficult issue, one that is hugely emotional for both sides.

"What's paramount in this is that the rights of women can not in any way be diminished," he said.

The government asked Ms. Boyd to study the issue after Syed Mumtaz Ali, a retired Muslim lawyer, established the Islamic Institute for Civil Justice, with an aim to train imams and religious scholars to resolve civil disputes.

Christians and Jews have practised religious arbitration in Ontario since 1991, when the NDP government at the time made it law. If Ontario says no to sharia, then it faces the spectre of ending all religious arbitration, Ms. Boyd said.
    I can see the reasoning behind this, that if Christians and Jews are allowed to legally provide mediation then anyone should be able to... However, there are quite a few differences in their belief in the treatment of women... I'm all for freedom of everything, but I believe that basic human rights should preceed those freedoms..

Examples of Shariah (which I've seen used both with and without the h on the end) Law

Source: http://<br /> http://www.guardian.c...777972,00.html
    Safiya Hussaini, 35, was sentenced to death by stoning in October for allegedly having a child with a married neighbour. She had the child after her divorce, but maintained the father was her former husband and that they were married when the child was conceived. The court convicted her, but Hussaini won an appeal, this time alleging that she had sex out of wedlock before sharia law took effect

Last year, a teenage single mother was given 100 lashes for adultery, even though she argued she was raped by three men. The court said Bariya Ibrahim Magazu could not prove that the men forced her to have sex.

In May this year, a sharia court in Jigawa sentenced Sarimu Mohammed, 50, to death by stoning for raping a nine-year-old girl - the first death sentence imposed on a man for rape or adultery. In Bauchi, Adama Unusua, who is 19 and pregnant, was recently sentenced to 100 lashes for having sex with her fiance.
    For more information on Sharia you can view the Wikipedia entry @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia

The first part of the section in the Wikipedia on Domestic Justice is what worries me most about this appearing in Ontario.

According to most interpretations, authorization for the husband to physically beat disobedient wives is given in the Qur'an. First, admonishment is verbal, and secondly a period of refraining from intimate relations. Finally, if the husband deems the situation appropriate, he may hit her.
    Anyways... wanted to share that.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Sounds like the perfectly logical consequence of liberalism.
    When people in government have no real ideology of their own,
    they bow to the pressure of those who exert the most pressure.

Lots of people get a secret (or not so secret) thrill out of insulting
    and trashing the traditions and "values" of old-fashioned supporters
    of Western civilization. No doubt they are convinced that Christianity,
    Democracy, Liberalism, and other hallmarks of our civilization are outmoded,
    and that we need to try something "fresh and new" like Islam. Don't you have
    any feminists in Canada? What do they think of all this? Or are they seduced
    by Islam, like so many other
    phony liberals.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Hey Hey,

We have plenty of feminists and women's groups and human right's groups and they're all crying out in protest..but no one is listening.

Peace,
    HT
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

The practice is permitted under the existing Arbitration Act that allows religious groups to resolve civil family disputes within their faith, providing all affected parties give their consent to the process and the outcomes respect Canadian law and human rights codes.
    Source
    Personally i dont see the need for this to be written into law. if someone believes in their religion that person will act accordingly and abide by the decisions of their religious leaders without ever involving the court systems.

they can either do what their religious leaders say or find another religion.

IMO opinion sharia should be completely kept out of the western hemisphere. (i think it might be to late for the EU) that leaves the choice of either singling out islam as something undesirable and political correctness would never allow that, or doing away with religious arbitration altogether.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

something "fresh and new" like Islam.

*edit*
    I know what you mean...it's fresh and new to them, but those words put right next to "Islam" just gave me a chuckle since they view anything fresh or new as deviant.

Reasons for it ::

[1] Liberals trying to win some votes from the Muslim community maybe ?? I guess you could say that the majority might agree with the law ???

it's just that they give me more reasons than most of the other governments that I pay attention to...
    Gomery Inquiry ??

they can either do what their religious leaders say or find another religion.
    Well Tedob1 that's easier said then done .... My brothers friend married a girl who was Muslim and well when her parents found out they disowned her ... None of her family will talk to her ... Kinda sad when I think about it ...

Hey Hey,

... but no one is listening.
    Welcome to Canada where a good percentage of the population dont really care ... Hell why worry about someone else's human rights when I am too busy trying to figure out where I'll dine out tonight .... ??? Maybe the media is not focusing on it enough ??? Maybe cause the President of China is currently here on visit to talk with Paul Martin ??? So I guess that would be a little more important in some peoples eyes ???

Hey HT got any more good links that talk about sharia law ???
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Originally posted here by Agent_Steal
    Gomery Inquiry ??

Hey HT got any more good links that talk about sharia law ???
    Hey Hey,

I've decided to ignore the Gomery Inquiry... It wasted a lot of money but there really wasn't a lot of pain and suffering due to it.... However, you're right it was rather ridiculous as well... Then again, I feel that allowing turbans in the Mounted Police should never have happened... We need to find a country in between Canada and the US... Somewhere that combines the Peaceful and laid back state of Candians with the Violence and aggression of Americans... I think that Northern Ontario is the perfect place, but no one else wants to be like that..

As for more links... I just searched google for Sharia Law and then Shariah Law... so I won't bother posting anything else I stumbled across... they can all be found in the first 20 links or so on those and a couple of other related searches.

Peace,
    HT

Then again, I feel that allowing turbans in the Mounted Police should never have happened...
    Just curios HT why not ??
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Originally posted here by Agent_Steal
    Just curios HT why not ??
    Hey Hey,

Because it's a uniform... They want to break our tradition and customs and bring in a turban because they refuse to break their own tradition and customs... To me it's disrespectful. When you get a job you wear the required uniform. Much in the same way that for quite some time they were allowed to carry their ceremonial sword by their side in schools, while a kid was suspended for having a pairing knife to peel his apple.. I believe we should have religious tolerance... but I also believe people entering our country should respect our ways and our customs... On top of that being a Mountie is a government job and there's supposed to be a seperation of church and state, therefore their religion shouldn't be applicable. It's all personal opinion, but it's just something I don't agree with. I think of it as being special treatment...

Peace,
    HT

From my understanding feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I believe that when there on duty they must wear the hat but for special occasions such as ceremonies and whatnot they are allowed to wear a specially made turban. So I really dont see anything wrong with that.
    Operation Cyberslam
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam