Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Installing Win95

Hang on guy's What version on Win95 are we discussing here? Did any one bother with the comments from |3lack|ce??

Bootable CD's as I recall only started with Win98... I am yet to encounter any 95's that were bootable.. even the OEM Ver.c

I have only ever run the Win95 install from a bootable floppy..WITH CD DRIVERS.. I have managed to run the install useing a Win98 boot floppy..

that out of the way

James have you tried a different CDROM drive?
    IS the boot realy recognising the CDROM.. been caught in the past with config errors here.. see.. some of the older hardware was very fussy..
    As I commented above.. Have you tried a Win98 Boot Floppy?
    If the version of Win95 is earlier than Ver: C.. then I hope that your C: Partition is less than 2Gb. (I am sure it was V.c that was happy with Fat32 and partitions above 2Gb)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    Bleh, I'd rather do it from CD-ROM myself, Nokia. He was having trouble with the A: drive (correct?) anyways, so.. might need to adjust the BIOS settings and see if D: accessibility is all configured.

EDIT: Nevermind, sorry.. after re-reading the post it was the other way around. My fault.
    LOL, you cant boot 95 from the CD spyder no matter how your BIOS is configured, as Undies has pointed out you have to do it from the floppy whether it be a 95 or a 98 one.

I'd be willing to bet that, even though it gives you a nice D:\> prompt,
    it's just teasing you, and you can't read any cd in that drive. So, like others
    have suggested, get someone to make you a win98 rescue floppy, because
    it seems to have a very good ability to load the right driver, better than
    the win95 install floppy.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I've downloaded a ton of boot disks from Here. They have OEM's and just any boot disk you need to create.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

IS the boot realy recognising the CDROM.. been caught in the past with config errors here.. see.. some of the older hardware was very fussy..
    I think that's the problem, I don't think the boot is recognizing the CDDROM. I just found drivers for it, so I'm gonna try including that on the boot disk next.

The CD drive is a GoldStar CRD-8240B. The system is an old Pavilion 6330 (which was built for Win98).

You need to make sure that the boot FLOPPY has MSCDEX.EXE (Microsoft cd extensions) on it, if you are using a 95 startup disk. If you can get hold of a 98SE one even better as this willload the cd rom driver for you.(note SE)

If you only have a 95 one, you need to modify the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS for them to load a cd driver.

If you need to you can get a copy of mscdex from here: http://www.techadvice.com/tech/M/MSCDEX.htm

The exact modifications dependon the type and manufacturer of your CD-ROM.

It should look something like this:

CONFIG.SYS:
    Files=25
    Buffers=9,256
    DEVICE=C:\PANCD.SYS /B:25 /N:PANCD001

AUTOEXEC.BAT
    PATH=C:\;C:\DOS
    MSCDEX.EXE /D:PANCD001 /L /M:100

Notice PANCD001 is the same in both, you have to make sure of this or it wont work.

In anut shell you need to have mscdex.exe to load your cd rom driver from dos or no matter what you will never get it to work!

//this site may explain it better than me! http://www.ameriwebs.net/groupworks/index.html

Nokia -- thus my edit. I didn't fully read the post and I didn't see what AngelicKnight was doing until I re-read it.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Ok, I found the driver. It downloads as an .exe program, then when you run the exe, it extracts all the driver files unto the disk. Unfortunately, I can't fit both the Win95 boot files and extracted CDROM driver files on the same boot disk, so what do I do?

If you can't fit everything on one floppy, use two floppies. One for the boot files and another for the drivers.

If you are realy stuck take out your HD and put it in another box as a slave.Now make a directory called CABS,now copy the whole 95 CD to this directory.Now put it back in its box and boot up.You should now (asuming that you have done the fdisk and format thing)boot to a C: now you type in cd\cabs.This should take you to the cabs dir that you made once here you type in setup and off you go.
    My usual way to install 95 is to boot with a 98se CD then quit the 98 setup put in the 95 CD and then change to the relevant drive containing the 95 CD and type in setup at the prompt.
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....