Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinstall a new OS

Question Reinstall a new OS

I am after some advice. I have another computer a Pentium 4 which has had the OS wiped from it. When I switch it on the black screen appears with the Megatrends logo on and the usual info at the top of the screen, then instead of booting up normally another black screen appears with the following in the middle of the screen: Enter Current Windows Password **** (4 characters long)

My mate who gave me this computer said has never set a password up, and I have tried booting it up with OS software but the cd rom won't do anything. I know I could try to crack the password but with the cd rom not doing anything I am stuck. I can't get past this password so I am not able to get into this computer at all. The OS was wiped intentionally as it was going to be upgraded.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have done lots of searches but can't seem to get anywhere.

Sounds like a BIOS password.

Either crack it, or pull the case open and reset the.... **** I forgot what it's called (Someone help me here) you pull something off and it resets it though.

Originally posted here by gore

Either crack it, or pull the case open and reset the.... **** I forgot what it's called (Someone help me here) you pull something off and it resets it though.
    You talking about clearing the CMOS......Non-volatile random access memory (NVRAM)... jumpers?

edit: go to the manufactures site to get the schematic.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    There will be a 'link' / 'jumper' that when you remove it will reset the password.

OR

remove the CMOS battery [that little round flat thing] AND remove the power cord too
    leave for five minutes, replace battery and cord, power up and it SHOULD clear THAT problem
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Either crack it, or pull the case open and reset the...
    jumper. Its located near to the BIOS chip and if that doesn't work try removing the battery(its shiny round) for a few seconds.

and I am 2 mins late.
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

(FWH) Firmware Hub

Thanks for all the advice. I will get on with that and post an update when I get it working.

Just pull the little black jumper and it will reset the CMOS
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    You might wanna do a google on your mobo so you pull the right jumper out.

Or just stick to pulling the battery out as said above

Are you sure it said "Enter Current Windows Password **** (4 characters long)", with WINDOWS being the specific that I'm questioning? I've never seen a BIOS password stated like that.

If it doesn't really says windows then the above advice would be good, but if in fact it does, I don't think it has anything to do with the BIOS.