Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix STD

Knoppix STD

Hello everyone,

I have found a distro of knoppix called,"Knoppix STD".After a search of the forums,I have discovered some posts where it is mentioned.I am fairly new to linux, so I am wondering if this software is too advanced for me at this point.I can navigate the console, and I have a decent knowledge of the unix file system.But password recovery, encryption,pen testing and autopsies remain mysterious yet enticing realms.Some reviews laude it as a great system for the novice security student, and others say it is only for the experienced.

Before I get in over my head,I would appreciate your opinions: will this distro develop my security skills,or will it simply frustrate me?
    It seems to be peaceful,but it is incorrect.CATS is still alive.
    Zig-01 must fight CATS again.And down with them completely!
    GOOD LUCK!

Hey there pshannon
    If you are fairly new to linux, some of the Knoppix STD tools will definately be a little hard to handle. However, as far as a distro designed for security goes, it is one of the best.

What I would recommend for you is to not discard it entirely, but revisit it every so often when you start to get yourself more experienced in the field. You will find that either something that was puzzling beforehand is now clear or also, something that you are learning may be further explained by seeing the practical application of it in a tool.

My $0.02 on it at least. Hope this helps

Tek

That cd basically stays in the laptop that's in my car. It's my GPS

Dive right in.....get the feel on a live.

knoppix std is a great way to get into security and linux as well. Now that you see what tools are available with knoppix read up on them and learn how to use them. There are mans and websites devoted to all of them. Google is your friend!

cheers.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

That is true. Knoppix STD is a must have toolkit. I always carry it with me. You can find plenty of live cd security framework distribution. You would love going through man pages and help given with the tools, if you really have that 'hacker' spirit inside you. I would say, do not OVERWHELM yourself with too much of information (but that does not mean that you stop reading till your eyes bleed). Just implement what you read.Figure out that what you intend to do for your penetration test. And then carry out each implementation/pen test using tools available in the CD. Go through the tutorials of nmap (fyodor recently released a more 'fun-version' of it with --arp-spoof, --send_ip, see the latest release notes for more information) and how can you milk nmap abilities combining it with amap in knoppix STD. You would love the rode.

Umm..I would suggest to go through CLUSTERKNOPPIX as well. Read the tutorial written by NeUtron (http://www.antionline.com/showthread...clusterknoppix) and the findings by some fellows. You would love the ride.

happy reading..
    my 2 cents..

pshannon,

I don't believe it's difficult, the word is "different". Additionally there are huge advantages to using a live cd version as well. You don't have to install a whole OS, troubleshooting an installed system, comes with tons of tool, etc. So you can cut your teeth on a live version and then if you want a complete distro install, I'd say select either SuSE or Mandrake.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Thank you all for the advice,I hope I can impose on your patience once more...

I also found this post here:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=254531

HTRegz mentions phlak, it seems to be quite similar to STD Knoppix.Is one better than the other?Which one would you use?
    I'm going to download STD at any rate, and I'll post my first impressions.
    It seems to be peaceful,but it is incorrect.CATS is still alive.
    Zig-01 must fight CATS again.And down with them completely!
    GOOD LUCK!

Hello,
    Both are very good, and one really is not better than the other. They both work very well in the functions that they provide. I keep both with me. Best advice get both and try them than use the one that works best for you.
    I have 315 relays and 118 switches and have all the power of a calculator.

The tools are normally similar from one live distro to the other. I like to use Auditor.
    http://new.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Auditor_main

with an ditro you just want to make sure you have the latest version, so you have all the latest versions of the tools included.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

I strongly recommend using Whoppix. It comes with a vast exploit database and lots of handy tools. Knoppix-std is a pretty neat one too. I don't have a great opinion about hack9.