Thread: Cisco's Clean Access

Cisco's Clean Access

I was just assigned the opportunity to do some research on software/tools that will allow non company owned PC's to access our network securely. One application suggested was Cisco's Clean Access. I'm new to the industry and am not sure exactly where to start so I thought I'd try the experts.

1. Does anyone have experience with Clean Access or any similar product?

2. Do they have any favorites, and why?
    Make it a great day,

Spammeblind

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I like to use Dameware to remotely access computers. the only catch is dameware must be installed on BOTH your pc and the pc that wants to connect.... you must also know both IP addresses. www.dameware.com or just type "dameware" in Google... Im not sure if this is what your looking for but I hope this helps bye,tyler.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

The school I got to uses Cisco Clean Access. The way they have it set up is if you have a Windows computer you need the Clean Access Agent which you use to log into the network with. If you have a Linux or Mac computer then when you open up your web browser you get redirected to a login page.

Now I can't really tell you much about how it is to administer but I'd say about 80 percent of the people in my dorm had problems with the agent saying they were logged in but really weren't or not allowing them to login. When using a Mac or Linux computer and using the browser I haven't seen anyone having problems. I don't know if that's what you were looking for but I hope it helps your decision.

poor cisco is going through a lot.. i feel bad for em. but im glad i dont work for them.

Cisco clean access is part of the Cisco NAC solution Clean Access is the appliance based solution.

However to implement Cisco NAC architectural framework you can implement this without purchasing a dedicated appliance you can use an existing router that is running an appropriate version of IOS software and the cisco ACS (Access control Server) (as well as the appropriate Cisco Trust and possibly security agent on the client side). These can intergrate with vendor policy servers to provide a policy compliance validation at network access.
    i.e is AV installed, is it up-to-date is patching up-to-date etc.

I think the clean access and NAC architectural solutions provide similar functionality however you may be able to save yourself some expense if you go the Architectural framework route as you do no need a dedicated appliance.

Information on the NAC architectural framework is available here:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns...s_package.html
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns...080270825.html

I had a good document at work about deploying the Cisco NAC however I can't locate it on the net and the link from the release notes is not working.

I am also heading up a project to invistagate NAC for our environment we are just starting to set up a test sandpit, hopefully that will be up and running soon.

Banned
    Clean Access Agent is currently installed on my computer... Our Uni uses it to maintain all that.