Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: no sense of humor

Regal Making Handler
    (Even though you argue that you found evidence that linux already supports TC).
    Catch posted this link in another thread: http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/k...ivers/char/tpm

I would say that is pretty conclusive.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    jinxy... he claims that link doesn't work ("Check your links before you post them")... DRM must be to blame!

cheers,

catch

Originally posted here by catch
    jinxy... he claims that link doesn't work ("Check your links before you post them")... DRM must be to blame!

cheers,

catch
    The link works. However, the real article in question (now) is the article from MSN.com. Since you seem to be on MS's side of this argument, explain how MSN claims that the FSF plans to "fight" DRM? Please discuss your take on the article, I would like to hear it.

Banned
    I make a point to excuse myself from the politics of such things and focus on the technology involved... so I cannot comment on MSNBC's motives.

However, if you wish to concede the point in this thread and start a new discussion about what you view as Microsoft's double talk... feel free. I don't think I'll join the conversation for the aforementioned reasons. It does seem however that a conversation based on rumors and innuendo might be better suited to your comprehension of the situation.

cheers,

catch

Putting the issue of MSNBC's reporting aside.

The problem with TCPA: While Microsoft and all the TCPA members are providing the documentation of what they intend (and therfore claim) the technology to do, the technology in reality has not truely hit the market yet. All they have released are drafts of how the technology works - not of how it is to be implemented and the ways it will be implemented. Given the unstable history of DRM solutions to date, it is easy to debate the ethical and legal implementation consequences of the technology.

Until the technology hits the market, we simply do not know what the true implementation (yes - we know what Microsoft and the RIAA plan to implement it to do) that those who wish to abuse the technology will come up with.

I think that they should weigh the benifits with the extreme socialogical drawbacks to implementing this technology.