Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: making ur ip not visible on the net

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    1)Pull the cable out the wall
    2)Fill your PC with fireworks, leave a fuse hanging out, light it and go for a pint.

Real answer, if you are that paranoid don't use a pc for sensitive work. If you must go online use the computers at your local library.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by Noia
    zencoder, you chould get a special title of "Luser Abuser" :P
    Isn't that one already taken?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by zencoder
    Isn't that one already taken?
    Half of it is already taken by Gore ....

AO BOFH: Luser Abuser

Still possible to use it ...
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Hey Swati !

There's actually no possible way to hide your ip. Think of your ip as your address and the Internet as a Postal Service. If your address is hidden, there's no way you can get letters !.
    Get the point ?. If you are looking way to hide your ip to browse the web, consider using a proxy.

http://anonymizer.com

Its alright to be paranoid. A cracker can't do anything with your ip, if you adopt some security practices. Stick around in AO and learn more about ways to secure your box.

Cheers

My best advice is: use a proxie server

several things you can do:
    1- back up your system, data files
    2- use good soyware detector(spyware doctor)
    3- follow security instructions (password generation/regeneration rules, system scan, ...)

Wow, a lot of great advice on here.

I agree with practically everyone on here, try using a proxy server.

You're using a firewall, just make sure you configure it correctly. Also configure your firewall on your router if it's applicable. I'm sure the guys and gals on here have some pretty sweet tutorials that can get you started.

Just like everyone said, use spyware detection programs like adaware and spybot S&D. Keep them updated and every now and then, run them in safemode.

I also recommend AVG, keep it up to date and also try running it in safemode now and then.

If all else fails, switch to sneakernet and you wont have any trouble with people finding your ip.

Hi swatii,

My advice...unless you have serious data on your computer...you know, secret agent stuff ...don't sweat it...any secret, classified material, documents, manuscripts you have...you know...vital information for your eyes only...use paper...buy a safe...errrrr, the steel kind NOT the latex...latex will NOT keep your documents safe!

Eg

I know this is a bit late but let us look at the original post?

Recently, my computer was hacked into and i lost certain very valuable data
    swatii , you have been given very good advice already, but I would make the point that you were hacked either via your internet connection, or physical access to your box. Your IP address is pretty much irrelevant. Trojans, backdoors, keyloggers, rootkits etc. do not need IP addresses in general, just a vulnerable machine connected to the net. They will "get you" even through a proxy.

I would recommend that you try to figure out how you were hacked, and take steps to prevent it.

Nihil my friend, his intentions are straightforward, he wants to hide his IP address to do some dirty work .... needless to say, ilegal work.
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster