Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sharing a printer with a password

sharing a printer with a password

good morning to all.

i would appreciate any given help.
    i have a network with clients that run winxp pro.
    i also have a printer server running winxp pro.
    same user/pass for all those machines.
    the problem is that i cant put a password on the shared printer so i can control the printing jobs.i just want to come up with the pass prompt everytime i want to print from a client.
    i know that xp use user level access, so i tried to share the printers under another account on the printer server.but in vain.is there any way to do such thing?

thanx in advance 4 your help
    www.rootforge.com

I don't understand "same user/pass for all machines"

Are you running a workgroup or domain?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Just Another Geek
    Create a new account on your printer "server".. Use the Security tab of the printer to only allow that account access to the printer... That should do it I believe..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

dinowuff :its on a domain.both clients and the server have the same usr/pass

Sirdice:there is not a security tab when you share a printer.i can imagine that if you have to create a new account, that has to be an administrator account in order to give access to a share.....right?so my existing account is an admin account but i cant find the option "security".i also tried to find a hidden security option using the gpedit console but in vain.

www.rootforge.com

AOs Resident Troll
    Well if you dont have a security tab...then your partition is not NTFS or you havent setup the sharing.....

Two article on how to share

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;308418#7

http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/F...s/win2kxp.html

You do not need to be admin to use a shared printer.....

But the domain users have to be in the worksations users group

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hey amon,

Are you actually on a AD (Active Directory) domain with a W2K or W2K3 DC ?

If you are you should see the security tab, in norma circumstances. If you didn't, or the admin of the domain for that fact, enable any policies then this security tab should be visible.

But if you are on a domain you should make that DC a printserver as well,instead of the WinXPpro, if it is for just 1 printer what harm can it do ...

Maybe you are not on a domain (which I think is the case) and you need to disable the "use simple file sharing" option in Folder options -> View on the WinXP clients.

And then you might see the security tab that SirDice mentioned.

Hope it makes sence ...else let us know.

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

AOs Resident Troll
    Have to disagree with this

But if you are on a domain you should make that DC a printserver as well,instead of the WinXPpro, if it is for just 1 printer what harm can it do
    Network printing can be *unstable*..and before it is noticed it can sieze or bring down the DC.....(depending on what services its providing, how many users, hardware,etc)

I don share printers on DCs

I use other machines

MHO of course

MLF

Network printing can be *unstable*..and before it noticed it can sieze or bring down the DC.....(depending on what services its providing, how many users, hardware,etc)
    I completely agree with you , don't get me wrong ...but if this is a small domain, with just a few clients ... that's what I mean ... if your hardware is limited and you need to share just 1 printer ..you only need to let 1 machine keep running instead of 2 ...saves you electricity as well .

Maybe it's fishing but ...well that's just my opinion.

[off topic]
    I support a site with over 500 printers (waaay too much for this site but anyway)... I know how unstable they can be. There are plans to configure a printcluster ...But I adviced them to do some print consolidation first ... there are some 750 users ...and over 500 printers ...I mean come on.

[EDIT]btw good point on the NTFS , didn't think of that.[/EDIT]
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

no active directory guys.
    just a registered domain.its actually an internet cafe.so i did disabled the simple file sharing and i finally got the security tab.yes i also use ntfs.

scenario1:as i said b4 both printer server and clients do have the same login credentials(same usr/pass).i changed the pass to the printer server and removed other users that have access on printers.result :couldnt even connect through clients.

scenario1:i kept the new pass for the printer server and added "everyone".no luck.

any other ideas?
    www.rootforge.com

AOs Resident Troll
    I think I figured out what the problem is....

And I am not too sure that your xp print server is up to what you want it to do.....because everyone has the same username and password...giving the same access to the network shares....and printers

You may need an actual print server device or a third party software...which in itself controls the password\acces list

MLF