Google Earth And National Security

Thread: Google Earth And National Security

Google Earth And National Security

Interesting article on national security issues related to google earth. Includes some good pictures of military installations and hardware.

Google Earth threatens democracy

Lester Haines
    Published Tuesday 13th September 2005 13:54 GMT

Recent news that South Korea is to take the US to task over Google Earth images which expose its military installations to close Commie scrutiny has provoked a mini stampede of other peace-loving nations eager to protect their assets from prying eyes.

Enter stage right Thailand, which says it may ask Google to "block images of important state buildings vulnerable to attack". Armed forces spokeschap Major General Weerasak Manee-in told Reuters: "We are looking for possible restrictions on these detailed pictures, especially state buildings. I think pictures of tourist attractions should do, not crucial places which could threaten national security."

Well, we went and had a quick shufti at some Thai military installations, and took the opportunity to scour the Earth's surfaces for other Google satellite data which might threaten Our Way of Life. We restricted ourselves to stuff which lends itself to perusal, mostly air force bases, because (trust us on this one) you can easily waste a whole day looking for Russian ICBM installations.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...ens_democracy/

Why are they concerned about what the comman Joe can see? Various governments have had this technology for years now.

I can see trying to limit the amaturish terrorist, but the professional terrorist will already have had this information, and a lot more besides.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I am not sure what the objection is to other governments having access to this information. As you say, it seems trivial to what they must already have. Maybe it is just the principle of the matter.

As for Joe-blow, there is often a thin line between him and an insurgent. Information and armaments allow him to cross the line, and this is just one more piece.

Question : Why does the US want the Whitehouse roof blanked out ?? Here is an un-altered picture. What is there to see ??

What is there to see ??
    Access points, and a nice job getting the roof done. Maybe the white house won't share the architect they used. ?!?!
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    If Google blocked out say, North Korean Gov buildings then they would be required to do it for every Gov. in the world right? wouldnt it be unfair to block some out but not others?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

If some one is up to no good, he don't need Google Earth to get there, simply he can get a visa and go there physically and study what is going on there.

There are thousands of ways to know just about anything in any country.
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster