Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Firewalls

Multiple Firewalls

My computer is currently running with two firewalls (Bsafe, AVG). Windows Firewall says that it is not good to have more than one firewall running, because they may conflict. Why would they conflict, and if you can stop them from conflicting is it better than only having one firewall?

The Recidivist
    Ummm........BSafe, AVG, and MS Firewall makes 3 firewalls running which is 2 too many. One properly configured firewall is all you need in that deptartment. That does not make up for say scanning for spyware or running you AV program often. But as for firewalls, like I said, you only need 1 properly configured one.

Ryan
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

The point in not using multiple firewalls is well...if they're both software firewalls(considering a two case scenario),then they're basically doing the same job..i.e..blocking unauthorised access to anf from your comp..why have two applications do this when you can do the job properly with one?Also,one scenario of a conflict may arise when you set different rulesets for your two firewalls...e.g.allowing a particular program to access the net in the ruleset of one firewall while denying permission in the other.
    Here's a decent beginner's article on the suject: http://www.informationweek.com/840/langa.htm

Hope it helped.
    Cheers.

The previous comments are on the mark and...
    ...if you can stop them from conflicting is it better than only having one firewall?
    If they do happen to coexist, having two software firewalls on the same computer is not like wearing two condoms. You don't get twice the protection. It is more like having two front doors on your house. Since they both do the same thing, let traffic in & out, why would you want to try to secure two? When one properly configured one reduces the opportunity for an uninvited guest or exploit.

!~cheers~!
    Connection refused, try again later.

Thanks for the information. I was just thinking that since they were from different companys some would block viruses that others wouldn't, but I guess I was wrong.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by Relyt
    The previous comments are on the mark and...

If they do happen to coexist, having two software firewalls on the same computer is not like wearing two condoms.
    I beg to differ! Running two firewalls on the computer is like wearing two condoms! The two condoms (and this is true with firewalls) will rub against each other and the resulting friction will cause them to break (and not work correctly.)

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Oh my gosh - we could have a litter xieroxs running around then!

OK, all seriousness aside now, I believe one of the best things you can do is to learn the different generations/types of firewalls available (Packet Filtering, Application Level, Stateful Inspection, Dynamic Packet Filtering, or Kernel Proxy) and select the type that is most appropriate for your needs. Then do some web surfing for comparisons completed by independent sources to find the company with the best record in all aspects. As mentioned earlier, a firewall must be properly configured to be effective.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hoopy Frood
    Now there's a scary thought!
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Originally posted here by metguru
    Thanks for the information. I was just thinking that since they were from different companys some would block viruses that others wouldn't, but I guess I was wrong.
    I don't think you really know the difference between an antivirus application and a firewall. Here is a PDF document that you might find very informative reading. https://lawrencecentral.ltschools.or...ponentsFAQ.pdf

Welcome to the convoluted, inverted, and mad mad world of computer security.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

If you're going to go with two firewalls, have one be a hardware firewall and the other a software firewall.