Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware of the next ZoneAlarm upgrade!

Exclamation Beware of the next ZoneAlarm upgrade!

All,

Just had an interesting discovery on my copy of ZoneAlarm (Free).

I routinely downloaded the latest upgrade which took me from version 5.5 to version 6.0. What did I discover .... the "Pass Lock" feature has been removed from the free version of ZA.

Unfortunately for me, there is also a lot of complaints about the Pro version, especially if you need to run it alongside Nortel Contivity VPN clients (which is my case).

So, my short term option is ... downgrade back to version 5.5 (which I'm in the process of doing), or move to an alternative.

Any suggestions? I used Sygate for a while, but wasn't overly convinced by it.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

BrainStop,

I didnt get the upgrade, but on the site, there is a manual that shows how to invoke the pass-lock with the 6.0 version.

Its worth a shot!

Here

pages 102-103
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

Hi Kthln01,

Thanks for the link.

I'll take another look, but at first sight, I cannot find the option window anywhere and there are a number of users on the Zonelabs forum having the same problem.

I'll keep you posted after I try again.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Stay clear of Sygate. They were aquired by Symantec and each time they suck up a new company, horrible things happen to the product. If you have ever seen the movie, "Toy Story", Symantec reminds me of that evil kid Sid who turns toys into monster-ish looking beasts.

That said, are you able to implement open source solutions? If so, I will post a few that I've had pretty good luck with.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hi,

Yes, for the time being (don't know what crazy idea my company will get in their head next), I can pretty much do what I want, as they don't even make firewalls on company laptops compulsory ...

I'd be quite interested in hearing about the open source solutions you have worked with.

Cheers,

BrainStop

I tryed downloading the newer version of ZoneAlarm (I have the free version too). I tryed just running the file and not saving it to disk, and windows (I have SP2) said that there was no digital signature, then it said it would not download it.

That might be a good thing that it did not let me download it.

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Stay clear of Sygate. They were aquired by Symantec and each time they suck up a new company, horrible things happen to the product. If you have ever seen the movie, "Toy Story", Symantec reminds me of that evil kid Sid who turns toys into monster-ish looking beasts.

That said, are you able to implement open source solutions? If so, I will post a few that I've had pretty good luck with.

--TH13
    i like sygate. i wonder is Symantect will build it into the SAV product?

BS,

Kerio also has a free version that I highly recommend. It is free for personal use and is one of th emost configurable of all the software firewall products on the market.

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Hope this is what you were looking for
    \"If you take a starving dog in off the street and make him prosperous he will not bite you, this is the principle difference between a dog and a man\" - Mark Twain

Hoopy Frood
    I also would recommend Kerio Personal Firewall. I tried Outpost Firewall (free edition) a while back and remember being pleased with it. However, I can't find it on their site right now; I can only find the paying version. Does someone know if they discontinued it?

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I personally used Outpost Firewall, i wasn't inpressed with it, it had alot of bugs to it seemed to me, maybe my machine, but it seemed to disagree with certain selects i had. it also had problems with PunkBuster, a program used to track cheats on games online (I.E Americas Army, Wolfstien, and etc), personally i didn't like it, I had Kerio for awhile, no problems what so ever with it, but since i decided to try outpost, my machine was having connections problems, so i removed it and moved back to Zone Alarm.

All in all, zone alarm is a decent program, but if you are serious about firewalls, your best off with buying one, because yes, the programs are free, but of course there are downfalls with freeware.