Thread: Another Snag : Highlighting text

Another Snag : Highlighting text

Well...after a Google search I found nothing but mouse-over effects...so...here's the problem :

http://conveiniencestore.blogspot.com/
    Tales From The Conveinience Store

I found a great background but...the text is hard to read...so...I tried several different colors from this site...

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colors.asp
    HTML Colors

but because there are so many colors in the background I couldn't find any that could be easily seen...so...

I thought maybe I could highlight the background of the text...not a mouse-over but as a permanent fixture...or...

possibly if there's no way to highlight the text...create a shadow behind it to make it stand out.

Any suggestions as to how? and what code I should put in the template?

Thanks!!!

Eg

Hi Eg,

I am far from an HTML expert, but here is a dropshadow effect you might want to try :

http://www.htmlite.com/faq017.php

Works across browsers.

You could use the same idea to create an outline around the letters.

Perhaps increasing the transparency of the background would help bring the text out as well.

Hi hesperus,

I have been dabbling in creating shadows...using an example like the one you linked to...but...that code only seems to work on permanent text...and not on changing post text...eg. I have created a shadow effect on a Title, because it's a non-changing permanent fixture.

I did bookmark it though because it might come in handy...right now I have three different shadow codes to play around with.

" Increasing the transparency of the background I never thought of...and I've done it before so I'll try that out too...you mean make the background like a watermark image...right?

Thanks! Any other help would be apppreciated.

Eg

like a watermark image
    Sort of. If you decrease the contrast and increase the brightness it will wash it out and make the text stand out.

Personally, I think the idea of 'highlighting' the text would be visually awkward, though I am afraid I can't offer any solutions -- other than to limit your permanent text to the image and have the rest appear underneath.

What is this blog all about, anyway ??

Hi hesperus,

I solved the problem the old fashioned way ...I just blacked out an area and I restored the original background.

I can't put the text underneath...because the picture is fixed...only the text moves.

It's a blog for short stories.

Now...I have another problem...

I inserted my links just as I did with my other blogs but...for some unknown reason I have 5 links off to the right instead of under the other ones?????

Any solutions?

Thanks,

Eg

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to hesperus again.

Hey Egaladeist: Did you play around with CSS's text background at all? It would be more like the original "highlighting" idea you had, and it would travel with the text. Something like this:

Code:
    <p style="background-color: white">Here's some text</p>
    This will create a highlight effect for the whole line the text is on, so you may also want to include some CSS that will contain that text into the area you want. Even a table would do that for you.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Hi roswell1329,

That is one of the three I've been playing with but unfortunately it's only good for fixed text...text that moves but never changes.

The problem is with new text...being able to highlight posts...and using that code I would have to go back into the template every time there's a new post and do it all over again.

But thanks! I appreciate you trying to help!

Eg

Still don't know how those links got over to the left...?????? Anybody care to enlighten me???
    The link is in my first post...if you scroll you'll see what I mean.

p {
    background-color: white;
    }

that would do it for every <p> tag on page style sheet was linked to (rather then using inline styles) so that would work for dynamic text as long as the new posts were included within <p></p> tags