Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipod Nano: get it or no...

Ipod Nano: get it or no...

I got the Ipod 40gb click wheel when that generation first started. It seemed like a week later after I bought it there was the color.. now I know technology is fast these days but do you think it is still a good deal or not. My Ipod broke several times now and this time I can't fix it, it constantly has the folder icon on there and makes it sound like its trying to start up the hd but just shuts off everytime. I tried to format it and replace with no software but it will not allow me. Is there anywhere online that will buy my broken ipod off me, I don't really feel like paying to send it somewhere just to get a quote and if it is still worth it pay than wait for it to come back. I couldve bought something that isn't going to give me as many problems or just a brand new one a little more. I was wondering also if there is any other mp3 player you suggest to be better..b/c I had to many problems with apple's.. Thanks

the ipod nano is YAIPS (Yet Another IPod System)...not really going to be much different.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

My MP3 player (Not a IPOd) froze on me while I was pushing combinations of buttons during a track. Whenever I powered it up it would just give me the same frozen screen. Here is what I did to get it back to normal: I put something heavy on the button so the light would come on and burn up the power. I had it on "save power" "LCD 5 sec" mode which made the situation even gayer. Eventually I ran all of its power out. Then I plugged it into my USB, and then deleted everything. After that I reinstalled my tracks. I haven't had a problem since. Try that to rule out if it's a software or hardware issue causing your problems.

if you want to get the most price out of your iPOD sell it every part apart, like the pattery. Thus, you can take the most out of it.

Its been like one year now with iPOD with having no proplems at all. It is just great to have an iPOD, I will upgarde it to iPOD photo once I get enough money.

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

I've been asking myself the same thing. But I know that as soon as my cheap ass actually dishes out $250 for a decent one... they'll come out with one thats twice as good for the same price.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hoopy Frood
    Same here, phishphreek80. I'm betting by next summer (with how many decent MP3 players seem to be coming to the market) that iPod prices will be down a good $50 - $100 bucks by next summer. I'm planning on getting one then. The color screen looks dang nice. (Just saw one in RL yesterday.)

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

no if Apple forums are anything to go by

theregister.co.uk reported that the Apple forums are hosting a Nano bashing thread. Many disgruntled customers complaining of very bad scratches on the screen hours after taking the product out of the box.

TheRegister.co uk article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...no_scratching/

Apple Nano thread: http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...pD.0@.68b94d61

Disappointing, I was tempted to indulge.

Hey Hey,

I'm a proud supporter of iPod. I've got a 4GB iPod mini (18 hour battery life when I bought it (which was when the 6GB mini's just came out) and it still lasts pretty much the full 18 hours). I know someone that has a 2nd Gen iPod that's still going strong.. and my buddy's on his 3rd one (never had a problem, just keeps upgrading)... The thing I like the best, which makes me question jamiecar1982's links, is the durability... My iPod is always in my pocket and after around 10 months of sitting in the same pocket as my keys it has a single scratch. I've dropped it on numerous occasions, one time the headphones were caught and didn't just unplug, they pulled the iPod out of my pocket and it smashed into the ground.. It kept playing without missing a beat and had no problems... The corner it landed on is slightly dented, but it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it.

As far as the Nano's screen... Check out this review http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/ on the third page they really beat the **** outta it.

As far as the pricing... it's not really that expensive... When you consider what it does.. It displays text files... making it the ultimate study companion for a student who has to travel a long distance on the bus to and from school... (gave me lots of extra study time I wouldn't have otherwise had). It provides games, which are quite basic but still a lot of fun... It's a storage device (depending on the iPod.. you can have a lot of storage) and it plays mp3s. A 1GB USB Key (at full price in the store) is about $100 around here... my MP3 discman was $100.. That's almost your iPod right there, except you're getting a lot more. Compared with the other MP3 players on the market, I've found it to be more durable, last longer, provide more entertainment value (I know a few people who bought Zen's and curse them) and it's in the same price range.

Purchasing an iPod is definately the way to go.

Peace,
    HT

I agree with HTRegz, iPOD is the coolest MP3 player in the market.
    One year or harish usage just made me believe that iPOD last longer than any of its peers.

Gates once said that iPOD will disappear from the market as it is just an occasunal phenomena, I wounder if this is true?, I also heard that MS plans to invade the MP3 players market to, as they just did with PlayStation .... will they prosper or fail?
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Don't get the new IPOD, or so I hear, I've been hearing latley not to buy apple products until generation 2, expecially the nano, I just read a /. article saying that the screen can get scratched very very easily.