Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cat5 cable-how long??

cat5 cable-how long??

hi tehre and thanks for your fast reply as usual,
    have adsl modem nb1300 plus 4.
    my son pc is in his room and i need to conect it to my router so he can have internet access.
    i can reach his room with 10 meter cable.
    i have 15 meter cable.
    question is?
    do you lose speed if cable is longer 5 meters?
    my adsl conection is 1500/256.
    i canected his pc on router but with only 1 meter cable and i was playing cs( i know-2 old) and could surf the nett very fast.
    Any significant slowdown to excpect or no?
    thnks

You should be good up to about 99 meters with no repeater.
    Well, they say 100 meters... but I've been told before not to exceed 99 meters.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/faq/ethernet.asp

You will be fine with 10 or 15 meters.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Nah not really, sure it will slow down since it needs to travel longer, but it's probably not even measureable in seconds.
    O.G at A.O

AOs Resident Troll
    Dont think the signal starts to degrade...attenuate til 100 meters or so...

I think you will be fine

Other things can interfere...like floresent lights and large power sources

MLF

edit>

We musta all posted at the same time
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Nah, you won't be able to notice the difference due to cable length... unless you exceed the maximum. Which you will not be doing...

The speeds will def. decrease once your son learns about p2p and bittorrent and other naughty sites out there... I have to constantly kick my roomates PC off when I'm fragging... His darn streaming pr0n!

BTW: How old IS your son? I'm no parent... but most people I know with kids won't let them have PCs in their room. Just so you can see what they are doing. If it is in their room... then they can close and lock the door and do stuff you might not want them to be doing... At least... I know I did.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    As mentioned you should be fine with that sort of length and watch for running the cable near to power cables. If you can't avoid them get shielded cable.

Also try to avoid sharp 90 degree angles in the cable.

Also try to avoid sharp 90 degree angles in the cable.
    Does that really make a difference?
    I once tied a 10 ft. cat 5 cable in lots of knots and it still worked fine as far as I could tell...

AOs Resident Troll
    The speeds will def. decrease once your son learns about p2p and bittorrent and other naughty sites out there... I have to constantly kick my roomates PC off when I'm fragging... His darn streaming pr0n!
    Excellent point Phish

As for the 90 degree angles....really depends on the cable....have seen cabling with no flexablity...older...cheaper...cant remember what its called.......

although I have seen breaks in the wiring at the RJ45 connector...when the cable is pulled too tight...no matter what type it is

oh yeah...and dont step on those connectors either...breaks them real good!!

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    I once tied a 10 ft. cat 5 cable in lots of knots and it still worked fine as far as I could tell...
    I've never had an issue with bending the cable. I only have issues when some moron [me] left a 500 ft coil in the ceiling with one end patched and the other end un patched. Two days later just grabed the other end of the cable and patched it into the other stack. Took me almost three days to figure out why the new line i just pulled didn't work.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    As with most cables turning a sharp 90 degrees has a tendency to break the conductors, especially in solid core CAT5 cable. Nothing like pulling a 200 foot cable through the ceiling just to find out it doesn't work because you kinked it somewhere and broke one of the wires.

As far as the length goes, there is no difference in a 15m and 10m cable as far as speed goes. The difference that the length could possibly make will be so small that the delays in between transmissions is much much longer and thus takes the length completely out of the equation.

Also, as Aspman stated, watch out for power cables, floruscent lighting, and really any electrical component. Try not to run it within 5 feet of anything motorized like a fan (ignoring case fans obviously), as the windings in the motors cause a lot of RFI.

In most situations you won't run across any problems on a small network. These RFI issues and everything mostly stem up in large networks were interference can spread to a lot of devices.